Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Tony Efstratiadis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:08 pm

Cin City

by Tony Efstratiadis » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:41 pm

the waterfront is not a la carte & the prices are very reasonable, including the wine list. sure, there are the big bottles that you have to offer for the big fish, but in general you can get a three course dinner for two with a bottle of wine for about $50 a head, not including tax & tip.
Committment to Excellence / "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Tony Efstratiadis wrote:the waterfront is not a la carte & the prices are very reasonable, including the wine list. sure, there are the big bottles that you have to offer for the big fish, but in general you can get a three course dinner for two with a bottle of wine for about $50 a head, not including tax & tip.

at that location you do get a salad and potato with your steak. you also get that at the Tropicana, but not at Jeff Ruby's, Precinct, and Carlo & Johnny's. At the Waterfront if you get the cheapest steaks, the cheapest bottle of wine, and split a dessert, I think you could have dinner for two there for $100.

Here's the menu: Image

I still think that Jeff Ruby's (even the Waterfront) is so dissimilar from Pat's as to make them hard to compare.

Pat's is more like the Pine Club in Dayton, OH.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Mark Head wrote:The waiters at Pat's been there since before Moses - no? These guys are professionals.

Pat's is a local institution with loads of tradition....criticism here is like calling your mother ugly. 8)

The Waiters at Mike Lining's have also been there since before Moses, so does that make them professional? I've never been impressed with the Waiters at Pat's but I have at some of the other local steakhouses.

Maybe Pat's is a local institution and has lots of tradition but it has failed to keep up with changing times. Not that some tradition is good but change is also good
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:39 pm

Mark R. wrote:Maybe Pat's is a local institution and has lots of tradition but it has failed to keep up with changing times.

This is what I love about it. It's what sets it apart from Texas Roadhouse, Outback, Stoney River, Ruth Chris, Morton's, et al.
no avatar
User

Tony Efstratiadis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:08 pm

Cin City

by Tony Efstratiadis » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Committment to Excellence / "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:53 pm

Tony Efstratiadis wrote:http://www.jeffruby.com/index.php?affiliate_uid=waterfront

It's good. I eat there a lot. Wish I could swing it for $100 though. I just can't pass up the Jeff Ruby's Jewel.

hmmm, maybe that's where I'll take my wife tonight . . .
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:56 pm

I didn't even have Pat's in my list because more often then not I get something else like pork chops, fried chicken, or fried oysters. The sides are like grandma's house.

I think the waiters are professional....but they are from another century. Maybe you have to be from here to get that place. IMO it's in another universe from all the other steak places mentioned and isn't really in competition with them as Ron said.

Basically I agree with everything Ron said.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:05 pm

Mark Head wrote:Basically I agree with everything Ron said.

It's safer that way.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:08 pm

Charles W. wrote:
Mark Head wrote:Basically I agree with everything Ron said.

It's safer that way.

I'm learning. :wink:
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:23 pm

I'll give you guys the heads up when I'm going to be wrong so you can disagree then.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:53 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
Tony Efstratiadis wrote:the waterfront is not a la carte & the prices are very reasonable, including the wine list. sure, there are the big bottles that you have to offer for the big fish, but in general you can get a three course dinner for two with a bottle of wine for about $50 a head, not including tax & tip.

at that location you do get a salad and potato with your steak. you also get that at the Tropicana, but not at Jeff Ruby's, Precinct, and Carlo & Johnny's. At the Waterfront if you get the cheapest steaks, the cheapest bottle of wine, and split a dessert, I think you could have dinner for two there for $100.

I still think that Jeff Ruby's (even the Waterfront) is so dissimilar from Pat's as to make them hard to compare.

My wife and I go to the Waterfront a couple times/year. We normally have drinks, and then split a crabcake appetiser, a large steak, baked potato, salad, side vege (ala carte), and a dessert, and with tax & tip walk away under $100 and stuffed!

On Stoney River: the Outback Steakhouse has three different steak restaurants: Outback is the cheapest, Stony River the mid-priced, and Fleming's the top of the line (designed to compete with Morton's and Ruth's Criss). I wouldn't really compare Stony River to Morton's, as it is not designed to compete with them!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

by Caleb Weber » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:22 am

andrew mellman wrote:On Stoney River: the Outback Steakhouse has three different steak restaurants: Outback is the cheapest, Stony River the mid-priced, and Fleming's the top of the line (designed to compete with Morton's and Ruth's Criss). I wouldn't really compare Stony River to Morton's, as it is not designed to compete with them!

i know about the fleming's relation, but i thought stoney river was owned by o charley's.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:48 am

Mark R. wrote:Maybe Pat's is a local institution and has lots of tradition but it has failed to keep up with changing times. Not that some tradition is good but change is also good

They haven't failed anything, they've chosen to stay where they are, if you don't like it, don't go.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

The Ville's best steakhouses.

by Doogy R » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:41 am

Tom Sizemore wanted to know. So, have we figured it out? Tom, are you there? A lot of names have been bandied about.

So, whose steak reigns supreme? We have some chains in Morton's, Ruth's and Jeff Ruby's. Ruby's kills the others here. We have the local high end places such as Z's, Jack's and Del Frisco. I believe this is a personal choice, they are all fantastic. Then we have the place that time left behind. Pat's. So, I call upon all forumites, whose steak REIGNS SUPREME?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:31 am

andrew mellman wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

My wife and I go to the Waterfront a couple times/year. We normally have drinks, and then split a crabcake appetiser, a large steak, baked potato, salad, side vege (ala carte), and a dessert, and with tax & tip walk away under $100 and stuffed!

That sounds correct to me. The steaks are plenty big enough to split. I'm just not sure how easy it would be for each person to have full three courses and a bottle of wine and stay under $100.
PreviousNext