Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Shout out to Episcopalian fish!

by Alexis Rich » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:16 pm

I do lent in a big way by making my rounds to Catholic churches all around town. I have compiled somewhat of an index making note of the quality of the fish sandwich, notable sides, condiments, and how well stocked the cake wheel is. (Questions? Feel free to message me.) I have no affiliation and hence no home team and/or dog in this fight.

This past Friday we tried a new place, St. Mark's on Frankfort Ave. It's in Crescent Hill, right near the library. It was our second time experiencing fried fish "without the guilt" and they did not disappoint. The fish is kind of a beer batter and it's super-crispy and delicious. In fact, everything from the fryer was perfect. The mac and cheese, green beans and slaw were all really good too. However, the standout was a bowl of totally tasty lobster bisque for $3.00. Sure I've had better bisque, but not much better and I paid a lot more money for it. I think a fish dinner ran 8 bucks. Can't beat that.

The folks were very friendly and put out nice tablecloths and everything. Plus, they were selling homemade baked goods for 50 cents a piece. I'm talking HUGE slices of cake and brownies the size of CDs. Personally, I feel guilty just paying for dessert without gambling away $10 worth of dimes but I guess that's just the Catholic in me.

Surprisingly, there weren't a lot of people there. I've stood in line for far inferior fish. Just thought some folks might want to check it out.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Shout out to Episcopalian fish!

by Steve P » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:45 pm

Thank you VERY much for this post - I was literally just signing on to post a note asking for recommendations for -battered- fish, as opposed to -breaded- ("Green River") prepared fish - which I personally don't care for even a little bit. Any other suggestions/recomendations for (beer and/or other) -battered- fish would be welcomed,.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:58 am

We visited St Nicholas Church...or maybe its St Nicholas Academy Friday evening. Its at New Cut and Southside. We were BLOWN away at how big a deal it is and how great the food was! HUGE pieces of fish and it was seasoned with something that made it perfect. Might make it a regular stop during Lent. Warning tho, it was packed! Parking was difficult. Worth it.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:59 am

Steve,
St. Patrick Catholic Church up by Lake Forest also has battered fish. They also have shrimp and several other items on their menu. We have been this year but in the past is been one of the better fish fries in town. It's really a lot closer for you than Frankfort Avenue is too.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Alexis Rich » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks for the tip about St. Nicholas. I don't get out that way a lot and the fish fries on the southside are BANANAS. Plus, they have pull tabs! (And cheap, canned beer. Yes!)

St. Patrick's is legit! They serve great fish on marbled rye. Also, their sides are really good and I appreciate that they have a salad. (Sometimes you need some roughage!) Even though it'll be crowded, you might try to go on St. Patrick's day. They have a huge crowd clad in green. They don't have a cake wheel but feature tons of baked goods for sale.

Mark, I notice you're from Anchorage. I'd be a bad Forumite if I didn't recommend the Episcopalian fish in Anchorage. St. Luke's has a great fish fry and last year featured fish tacos. Fancy!
Last edited by Alexis Rich on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:TMark, I notice your from Anchorage. I'd be a bad Forumite if I didn't recommend the Episcopalian fish in Anchorage. St. Luke's has a great fish fry and last year featured fish tacos. Fancy!

Right! St. Luke's also has a choice of beer and wine ... and they offer a fancy baked-tilapia option. But if you ever meet the St. Luke's guys, the Brotherhood of St. Andrew, who run the fish fry, you might retract that "fancy." :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:32 pm

I visited St. Aloysius in Pee Wee Valley last Friday. (Hwy 146 just over the tracks. They have a drive through.) Did not get the fish but two, good sized rolled oysters. (Looked to be hand rolled with 2-3 oysters in each.) They were quite tasty although still not as wonderful as Mazonni's. No crackers in the breading. Onion rings were the usual breaded and frozen things so not worth the calories IMHO. I'm returning this Friday to try the fish and coleslaw.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:Mark, I notice you're from Anchorage. I'd be a bad Forumite if I didn't recommend the Episcopalian fish in Anchorage. St. Luke's has a great fish fry and last year featured fish tacos. Fancy!

We've been to St. Luke's several times and you are certainly correct that there fish are good. For some reason, I'm not really sure why, we just prefer the atmosphere at St. Patrick's more than any other place we've been in town as far as church oriented fish fries go. Of course were Methodist so we don't know a lot about fish fries! :roll: :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:30 am

Alexis Rich wrote:...I have compiled somewhat of an index making note of the quality of the fish sandwich, notable sides, condiments, and how well stocked the cake wheel is.

Alexis, you wouldn't want to publish that "index", would you? :)
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Alexis Rich » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Oh I wouldn't mind sharing at all except it's hard copy, not digital. Plus, it's poorly organized. I started to create a compendium on word press years ago but life got in the way. Perhaps a 2018 New Years resolution is in order. Some people write the great American novel, others a definitive local fried fish index. Meh. If you want any info, feel free to message me. No bother.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:16 pm

If you could scan and upload (or email) I will take a shot at putting into a sortable spreadsheet. If desired, I can PM you my email.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:45 am

Gave St Mark's a try tonight. Thanks for the rec. We loved the fish, so light. Loved the batter. (Hate most breading, it's usually too greasy for me to digest.) Fries were also good, not greasy at all. Unfortunately, the mac/cheese and slaw were kinda mediocre tonight, and I was real disappointed with the green beans...no taste, possibly canned. But I really did like the fish, we both wished for more! Thanks again.