Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tikka House

User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

Tikka House

by Ken Wilson » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Just returned from one of the best Indian meals we have had in Louisville. (side note: we lived in India long ago, so have some reference) Interestingly, Tikka House is run by Nepalis - there's a small selection of 'Himalayan dishes - but the food is true Indian (though next time I may want the heat tweaked up a bit). The pakora are amazing - crunchy, tasty, better than the usual gram flour type. The lamb was tender and rich and the eggplant dish my wife had was smoky and perfectly spiced. I really hope this place gets the audience it deserves. For one thing, we can walk to it!
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Tikka House

by RichardM » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Ken,

My bride, Suzib, and I had lunch there on Valentines Day. It's a really nice buffet. Best Naan in Louisville. We are making plans for dinner their some evening. I want to have the goat.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:38 pm

The naan really was good when I went there for lunch with a friend a couple of weeks ago. I think I might have been recognized, which led to hovering, smarmy and overly intrusive service, which puts me so far off me feed that I don't really feel able to review. The food seemed good, and I hope to go back either wearing a disguise or having a frank conversation up front. I want to be able to enjoy it. :twisted:
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:54 pm

I just got back from Sunday lunch there, the food is good and the service not smarmy...I'm guessing they recognized you, Robin. The fresh naan is worth the admission, seriously. I could eat that and leave happy... :D
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:16 pm

We had the buffet two Saturdays ago and were underwhelmed by the lack of strong Indian flavors. Everything was prepared well, and the dishes were not bad, but both the wife and I commented that we much prefer Bombay Grill. Tikka House lacked the spices that we are acustomed to when eating indian. The naan (we had regular and rosemary) was fresh, hot and delicious. I wish they would have had a biryani on the buffet. We may be back, but it isn';t high on our radar currently.

Has anyone tried Bawerchi in the Highlands?

DD
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Derrick Dones wrote:Has anyone tried Bawerchi in the Highlands?

I have.
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/spart ... ndian-fare

The food is extremely good. The service is problematic, I think because it's a one-man shop with an Indian gent in the kitchen. Both times we've been, the review and another visit later, it appeared that he had hired a server off the street and that server might have had a drug problem. I want to be compassionate, and I'm pretty open-minded, but in one case the server brought out our mulligatawny with one thumb deep in the soup, and in the other case I really, really hoped that another, similar guy had not accidentally touched our food.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:20 pm

We went this weekend and had the buffet. It was fine but nothing was memorable apart from the naan. Service was pleasant, and there were acoustic guitar versions of Randy Travis and Brahms lullaby on the sound system, which I found amusing. I would give it a second shot ordering from the menu. Their fish options look interesting, and the fact that momos are on the menu makes me want to try them.

As for Bawerchi, we went shortly after opening and had some wonderful, intense biryani and haleem. Then I got takeout a few months ago but the biryani was way more bland. I am not sure if they changed the recipe or what. I will give them another shot, though.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Derrick Dones wrote:Has anyone tried Bawerchi in the Highlands?

I have.
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/spart ... ndian-fare

The food is extremely good. The service is problematic, I think because it's a one-man shop with an Indian gent in the kitchen. Both times we've been, the review and another visit later, it appeared that he had hired a server off the street and that server might have had a drug problem. I want to be compassionate, and I'm pretty open-minded, but in one case the server brought out our mulligatawny with one thumb deep in the soup, and in the other case I really, really hoped that another, similar guy had not accidentally touched our food.

This is interesting to me. I guess I will take the risk. I walk by it at least 4 times a week, often around dinner time, and I've never seen a single customer inside. Caused me to worry quite a bit.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Tried Tikka House buffet -- thought it was really good. Service is great, too. Fresh naan was awesome!