Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dinner At KimBab

no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Dinner At KimBab

by RichardM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:32 pm

My bride Suzi and I slipped out of Kentucky across the $4 bridge and found our GPS Guided way to Kim Bab for dinner this evening. Located on Charlestown Crossing Way, off of Charlestown Crossing off of Ind 311 aka Charlestown Road. Took about 18 minutes from downtown.

Kim Bab is a Korean Diner with some really great food. Nothing fancy. No tablecloths. Counter ordering but they do bring your food to the table. It is a Pepsi product place (sad face), but they have Boba <bubble> Tea for $3.95 which Suzi loves so she got a Milk Tea one, altho they also have Mango, Strawberry, Honeydew, Ice Coffee & Green Tea as well. I had pink lemonade from a soft drink machine. They also have a selection of beer both domestic and foreign. In addition they have, Yu-Ja Cha (honey lemon tea), In-Sam Cha (honey ginseng tea), Saeng-Gang Cha (honey ginger tea), Nok Cha & Milk Coffee. Hot $2.75 Cold $3.50

We started with KimBab, which is a roll, visually like sushi, but very different. The rice is not sushi rice, and it has Seaweed, carrot, radish, spinach, crab & egg. We opted for the Bulgogi KimBab which as a nice starter for $7.95. The Veggie one is $5.95. We moved on to Beef Mandu, which is Deep Fried dumpings. These half-dozen comfort food wedges of beef were right up there in the class of best of. Firm well cooked and not too spicy but with a rich flavor. Six pieces were $5.95 and they have a 12 piece order for $10.95 if you want to share with 3 people.

I had a small Bulgogi with white rice. The beef was very tender and there was just enough vegetables mixed in it. The Small is $9.95 and they have a Medium at $12.95 as well as a Large for $15.95. The small was more than enough for me after sharing the two starters. Again if two or more wanted to share a dish then the larger sizes might work.

My bride had her favorite Korean dish, Bibimbab. She got the Tofu one which was $9.95. You can also add Bulgogi, chicken or Shrimp at the $9.95 price or get the Dolsot Bibimbap for $10.95, adding Tofu, Bulgogi, chicken or Shrimp is $2.00 more.
It looked like a regular bowl of bibimbab and Suzi said it was quite good. She brought over a third home after having the starters.

My next visit I am going to have the Ramyun with bulgogi. This noodles in beef broth with vegetables bowl looked quite delicious. It is $7.95. Recommended for clearing your head if you have a cold.

They brought several sauces to the table: soy, vinegar, hot chili, as well as a small container of kimchi. That's some spicy kimchi! But boy it is good.

KimBab is open Mon-Fri for lunch 11-2. Dinner 5-10. Sat-Sun 11am - 10pm.
3012 Charlestown Crossing Way New Albany, IN 47150 812-725-9844
https://www.facebook.com/kimandbab

Highly recommend this place. In fact was thinking I might set up a off-line there.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Dinner At KimBab

by RichardM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Here's a link to a photo of the KimBap roll.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:25 am

Oh, man. I should not have read this while I'm so hungry. I need a bib to wipe up the drool.

Sounds amazing; can't wait to try it out!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:04 am

This sounds good enough to be worth a trip from Oldham Co.!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson