Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Question 4 the group...502

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Question 4 the group...502

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:51 pm

502 restaurant week is upon us. I did some minimal surfing, and am unsure. Some places look like real "deals" while others appear to save maybe a dollar (or less) for standard menu options, but it's really tough to figure out.

What would you term a "best buy?" By that I mean you would get a special looking dinner at a good price, something that would make you want to give that place a special visit.

All the menus are linked from the Feb/Mar 2017 link at http://www.502foodie.com.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Question 4 the group...502

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I've never been quite clear on 502 Week or what its business plan is, Andrew. Basically you're looking at putting up $100.40 for a couple, excluding alcoholic beverages and tip, I assume, so it's going to have to be a pretty darn good deal, and I think it would be hard to get up to $100 with drinks at some of those places. So maybe it's more about making it easy for folks with a three-course prix fixe and lots of publicity? If I were looking for deals, I'd probably start with the pricier spots and see what they had to do to come up with a prix fixe for that toll. Eddie Merlot's, maybe?
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Actually, I think the way it works is some venues are 50.20 per person and some are 50.20 per couple. So, not all will be $100+.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:Actually, I think the way it works is some venues are 50.20 per person and some are 50.20 per couple. So, not all will be $100+.

You are correct...actually a couple offer $25.10 dinner options for one!

We were in Chicago for their's - over 300 restaurants! - and Capital Grill offered a 14 oz aged NY strip 3 course dinner for $33 (normally that steak alone is $39), while others had a $29 3-course meal for the same $33 (they raised the price for the week!), and some ethnic places and special off-menu feasts for the same price.

The Chicago Eater Web site had interesting comments recommending particular courses at specific restaurants to put together optimal dining, and I was looking for similar assistance.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:Actually, I think the way it works is some venues are 50.20 per person and some are 50.20 per couple. So, not all will be $100+.

Good catch. In responding to Andrew's question I was mining the pricey places in particular, so the ones I had been looking at were $100. But absolutely, although I wonder if the same metric applies: Without alcohol or tip, you've got to work on it to bring the toll for two up to $50 at a lot of more modest eateries.
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 pm

I know the deal we're offering here at VINCENZo'S is pretty great. Three courses for $50.20

Choice of ravioli with chicken, mushrooms and spinach or orecchiette with shrimp, guanciale, and tomato sauce.

4oz filet of beef with cherry bordelaise with your choice of lobster tail with sautéed artichokes and mushrooms or salmon with champagne dill cream sauce with shiitake mushrooms.

Choice of zabaglione cream puffs or seasonal cheesecake.
Alejandro Magallanez
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:25 pm

We did Sway last year and it's a steal at $50.20 per COUPLE. Choose appetizer/soup/salad, entree and dessert. We had the fried green tomatoes and the salad last year. Both were from the regular menu and our favorites anyway. We both got the fried chicken which is on the regualr menu for $24 (and worth every penny) so 2 orders of that gets you to $50. Plus, we had a lot of take-home food. Dessert was there but not memorable as good or bad.

I know eating at a hotel restaurant seems weird if it's not the Seelbach or the Oakroom but we have always enjoyed the food at Sway and will likely do this deal again this year. Also, it's worth mentioning that the service there is really good, too. Consummate professionals at every level at that restaurant.