Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

Re: Thursday closings?

by bob.durbin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:05 pm

I think the most telling thing about this event locally is whom we see did not participate in this shut down. One of the largest and most succesful local restaurant groups completely run by Latin immigrants, Olé, chose to keep their businesses open yesterday. I think this reflects greatly the feelings of those immigrants here legally trying to improve their lives towards their illegal counterparts. Before anyone gets crazy, there is a huge difference between illegal aliens and legally documented foreign born residents taking advantage of the programs offered to immigrants in opposite fashions.

I also have to agree with a few other posters, the people that needed to see this are so far removed from those businesses that closed that they barely batted an eyelash about the above listed businesses. The only people affected by those closings were the owners who chose to close and their employees who lost a day of pay. I'm excited to see how this national strike day plays out going forward.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 pm

As liberal as I am I'm not sure that penalizing the restaurant owners or managers for hiring the immigrants in the first place thereby giving them an opportunity is the way to go. You can't blame a business for being distraught for being put in the weeds by the very people they were offering employment to. Again, this was not thought out and executed properly.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:38 pm

RonnieD wrote:Pitchforks on standby, folks. Gary was only speculating that they would be training replacements. I don't think he makes that call or is privy to such decision (correct me if I'm wrong here, Gary). But I fear this will be the response in many kitchens across the country... :(

Yeah, save the pitchforks. I have no say in the hiring/firing process. Just saying this is an independent that treats their employees well. The protest only served to hurt everyone else in the restaurant.
no avatar
User

Scott S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:32 am

by Scott S » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 am

bob.durbin wrote:I think the most telling thing about this event locally is whom we see did not participate in this shut down. One of the largest and most succesful local restaurant groups completely run by Latin immigrants, Olé, chose to keep their businesses open yesterday. I think this reflects greatly the feelings of those immigrants here legally trying to improve their lives towards their illegal counterparts. Before anyone gets crazy, there is a huge difference between illegal aliens and legally documented foreign born residents taking advantage of the programs offered to immigrants in opposite fashions.

You mean the one who came over here (twice IIRC) on a boat from Cuba?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:10 am

Scott S wrote:You mean the one who came over here (twice IIRC) on a boat from Cuba?

Yep. The old "wet feet, dry feet" program, suspended at the end of the Obama administration as part of its effort to start normalizing relations with Cuba.
Previous