Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tell me about Cafe Thuy Van

no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

Tell me about Cafe Thuy Van

by Adam C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:44 pm

One of my clients is Vietnamese and gigled when I mentioned Vietnam Kitchen as if VK is the tourist spot and she touted Cafe Thuy Van as "just like what my mom makes" which got my brain and love for Vietnamese food all riled up. Ever been? Go to dish? Tell me about it. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Tell me about Cafe Thuy Van

by Rich S » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:04 pm

The Vietnamese-American woman who writes the Louisville Off Track blog says Thuy Van Cafe "has the best and most authentic Vietnamese food in town." She did a roundup of local Vietnamese restaurants a couple years ago:

http://louisvilleofftrack.blogspot.com/ ... ville.html

(I recently discovered her blog, which is worth checking out. Along with travel and other topics, she writes about local restaurants, including some that aren't widely known.)
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Love that place! They have an awesome pork noodle soup that's my favorite Vietnamese dish in town. Best bun bo hue around, too, IMO. Only problem is that they're cash-only.

Edit: that soup is called banh canh gio heo, and when they don't have pork feet, they just load it up with shrimp. The fried shallots really make the broth.
Last edited by Iggy C on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm

I haven't been for a while, but I thought it was up there with VK and the other South End spots when I reviewed it in ... 2009!? Might be due for a fresh look!

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/cafe- ... eaten-path
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:35 pm

I haven't been there in a while but I used to go there quite frequently. It was the closest experience of feeling like I left Louisville and was in a joint somewhere in a foreign land (and I say that as a positive)...food and friendliness were always enjoyable.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Have been many times. I usually go when I know that VK will be too crowded and have a wait. Thuy Van is very good and authentic. Cash only. Not quite as polished as VK, but definitely like your mom would make, if you had a Vietnamese mom.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam C » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:13 am

Rich S wrote:The Vietnamese-American woman who writes the Louisville Off Track blog says Thuy Van Cafe "has the best and most authentic Vietnamese food in town." She did a roundup of local Vietnamese restaurants a couple years ago:

http://louisvilleofftrack.blogspot.com/ ... ville.html

(I recently discovered her blog, which is worth checking out. Along with travel and other topics, she writes about local restaurants, including some that aren't widely known.)

Thao, who writes the blog, is a friend. I actually went to Panama with her when we were both at U of L. She's awesome.

Going to Thuy Van today for lunch for a much needed lunch date with my wife. Stoked!
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:53 am

Adam was that you in the restaurant? We were the only two couples having lunch around 2 pm? Love this place. It is just so far away from our home.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:24 am

Nice blog, bus she lost me when she put Vietnam Kitchen in the category of vietnamese restaurants that she compared to McDonald's as opposed to your local hamburger joint. Yes, you can go to VK and get a few "american-chinese" dishes, but the Vietnamese dishes are authentic and excellent. The place has become very popular, but it has not diminished in quality or authenticity.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam C » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Madeline Peters wrote:Adam was that you in the restaurant? We were the only two couples having lunch around 2 pm? Love this place. It is just so far away from our home.

sorry for the late response but yes that probably was me and my wife. i loved it, she didn't (at least she admitted that she likes less authentic stuff).