Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chef Edward Lee opening a new restaurant

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:26 am

We actually miss seeing you, Chris. I'm sorry you're seeing hate where most of us just see discussion, but peace be with you.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am

Funny, this board has slammed 4SL since it's inception for not having local restaurants included in it's offerings, now it's slamming a local restaurateur for opening up there.

You people are the biggest bunch of haters on the planet. (See also : why I rarely visit or post here anymore).

It's literally one poster, not the board. I'd be happy to try any Ed Lee restaurant wherever it is
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:09 am

Iggy C wrote:It's literally one poster, not the board. I'd be happy to try any Ed Lee restaurant wherever it is

I was just thinking the other day that I need to get back to Milkwood. Not to review, just because it's really good.

Now, that said, I do remember when Chef Lee let some folks open the short-lived Potstickers (now El Taco Luchador) as a Lee product, and it was short-lived because it wasn't any good at all. I got the impression in that case he licensed his name without giving much supervision, so I'm not going to just assume that another product with his name is going to have his quality until it opens and we can check it out. But I'm not going to assume it's no good just because it's in 4SL, either.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Yet more news on the adventures of Ed Lee. But still can't get a simple response about whether the 4th St Live restaurant is a yea or nay.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne ... 542520001/
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Chris M wrote:Funny, this board has slammed 4SL since it's inception for not having local restaurants included in it's offerings, now it's slamming a local restaurateur for opening up there.

You people are the biggest bunch of haters on the planet. (See also : why I rarely visit or post here anymore).

The two is that the other places that have been mentioned are places that people who contribute to this forum go to when they are visiting a city whereas 4SL his local. Locals don't want to fight the hassle of crowding and parking issues at 4SL. Yes, we are glad that visitors to our city will get to try some food from great local chefs instead of just going to another run-of-the-mill national chain but I don't think many of us visit 4SL on a regular basis.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

As a former owner of the only local business in 4SL for many years I can address both. 4SL was sold to us on the promise that it was going to be a haven for local businesses to showcase what makes Louisville special to visitors of our fair city. Then we watched as local businesses were passed over in favor of large corporate chains, many of which were owned all or in part by Cordish. As one of the few independent businesses there, Cordish proved to be a very bad partner. We were told we were not allowed to advertise that we were locally owned or Louisville based and we were constantly harassed by the management of 4SL. When our lease was up in 5 years, we couldn't get out of there fast enough (our CAM charges had increased to 3x our lease!!!).

4SL turned out to not be local friendly at all.

So when I see them now trying to back pedal on their hypocrisy and cash in on the fame of a local chef like Ed Lee, it is revolting. And while I'm not going to besmirch Chef Lee for choosing to put a business in 4SL, I know from experience that it's going to be a bumpy road and I know that his time, money, and talent can be better put to use elsewhere in the city.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:07 am

4SL is a tourist trap. The folks who spend money there don't care about anything local or unique. They want the comforting and mindless options such as TGI and Hard Rock. Jalapeno poppers, cheese boats, tater tornadoes, etc. Flavor town, baby!! I will fully admit to eating there only when J Gumbos was a tenant (RIP) :(
Previous