Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Chef Edward Lee opening a new restaurant

by Mark R. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Today's addition of Business First is article saying that Edward Lee is going to open a new restaurant in 4th Street Live. It's going to be named Whiskey Dry and will feature 200 whiskeys from around the world and burgers.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/n ... j=77262311
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: Chef Edward Lee opening a new restaurant

by neal.johnson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:49 pm

I hoped that Ed had higher standards than investing in 4th Street Lies. The bourbon themed concept is tired.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:31 pm

neal.johnson wrote:I hoped that Ed had higher standards than investing in 4th Street Lies. The bourbon themed concept is tired.

It's tired for locals. It's not tired in a place that exists to serve out-of-towners.

Nashville residents probably get tired of country-music themed joints, but they keep doing well in certain parts of that city, for a reason.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:I hoped that Ed had higher standards than investing in 4th Street Lies. The bourbon themed concept is tired.

It's tired for locals. It's not tired in a place that exists to serve out-of-towners.

Nashville residents probably get tired of country-music themed joints, but they keep doing well in certain parts of that city, for a reason.

Spot on, Jeff. In fact, according to Insider Louisville's account of this story, Ed Lee expressed that he is aware that he'll have his critics regarding 4th St Live. But he pointed out that thousands of people pass through there. He also thinks that it was a good opportunity to put a local face on the block......I agree with that philosophy and wish him the best of luck.
James J. Natsis
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:05 am

Mark R. wrote:....Edward Lee is going to open a new restaurant in 4th Street Live

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:19 am

James Natsis wrote:
Spot on, Jeff. In fact, according to Insider Louisville's account of this story, Ed Lee expressed that he is aware that he'll have his critics regarding 4th St Live. But he pointed out that thousands of people pass through there. He also thinks that it was a good opportunity to put a local face on the block......I agree with that philosophy and wish him the best of luck.

James, how often do you dine at 4th St. Lies? TGI Fridays perhaps? I wonder if they will let black people in his restaurant. No. I'm sure it's fine. Cordish cares about everyone.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:18 pm

neal.johnson wrote:
James Natsis wrote:

James, how often do you dine at 4th St. Lies? TGI Fridays perhaps? I wonder if they will let black people in his restaurant. No. I'm sure it's fine. Cordish cares about everyone.

Neal,
I don't normally dine there. But that's the point. 4th St Live is not about local dining, but rather a landing spot for tourists staying downtown. The folks at Jim Beam, Guy Fieri, Junior Bridgeman, Ed Lee and others undestand the business model that is clear in that block. I staunchly support our originals and the whole philosophy. But 4th St Live is fine in my books as a crossroads linking many people to and fro between hotels and the soon to be newly renovated convention center.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:08 pm

For what it's worth, 4th Street Live has improved a lot from where it was in the past, including in regards to its implicit racism most days. The food is much better down there, too.
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm sure it will be a very tasty, successful venture. You'll start seeing more of this... renowned chefs getting away from finer dining to do things with less pretension. That's no slight to anyone doing fine dining, but there are only so many luxury meals to be had. 4th street makes a ton of sense for this concept and I think we would all rather it was one of our own than, say, Bobby Flay. At least I would.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:00 pm

GriffinPaulin wrote:I'm sure it will be a very tasty, successful venture. You'll start seeing more of this... renowned chefs getting away from finer dining to do things with less pretension. That's no slight to anyone doing fine dining, but there are only so many luxury meals to be had. 4th street makes a ton of sense for this concept and I think we would all rather it was one of our own than, say, Bobby Flay. At least I would.

"there are only so many luxury meals to be had" ....this is true. In addition, how many fine dining places can one run effectively? Why not maintain a fine diner or a few, and expand into other types of establishments. The Ole Restaurant Group expressed that their growth is in Taco Luchador. They already have a nice portfolio of ecclectic restaurant concepts. Exploration into more Taco Luchadors, or Chef Lee's endeavor into 4th St Live does not mean they have to give up their finer concepts.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Steve Coomes has an insightful take on the subject that's worth a read:

http://eatdrinktalk.net/fourth-street-l ... estaurant/
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:57 pm

So we've heard about new endeavors in DC for Chef Lee, but not a peep about Whiskey Dry. Anybody know whats going on?
James J. Natsis
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am

They did a little demo work a few months ago in that space in 4th $treet Live, but it's been idle for at least 2-3 months.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 am

GriffinPaulin wrote:I'm sure it will be a very tasty, successful venture. You'll start seeing more of this... renowned chefs getting away from finer dining to do things with less pretension. That's no slight to anyone doing fine dining, but there are only so many luxury meals to be had. 4th street makes a ton of sense for this concept and I think we would all rather it was one of our own than, say, Bobby Flay. At least I would.

Preach, Chef Griffin! Think City Walk Orlando, and most of Las Vegas. Same concept, smaller scale. Chefs can do their own magic and flavor but cater to the visiting crowd. Last year I ate at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill in Vegas and it ******* rocked!!!!!
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 am

Funny, this board has slammed 4SL since it's inception for not having local restaurants included in it's offerings, now it's slamming a local restaurateur for opening up there.

You people are the biggest bunch of haters on the planet. (See also : why I rarely visit or post here anymore).
Next