Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

90 Point Wine Dinner @ Varanese

no avatar
User

Sean Flaherty

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:52 pm

by Sean Flaherty » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Varanese is having a 90 Point Wine Dinner January 24th starting at 6 pm. Come enjoy good food, good service and the live jazz music of Jeff Sherman and Band.

KUNDE ESTATE SAUVIGNON BLANC
Tempura Point Reyes Bleu Cheese and Dried Apricot

GEORGE DUBOEUF MORGON BEAUJOLAIS
Grilled Diver Scallop and Strawberry Gazpacho Napoleon Garnish with Baby
Arugula and Balsamic drizzle

CASTELLO DI MONASTERO TOSCANA
Duck Stuffed Ravioli atop Shaved Baby Fennel and Sweet Onions Accompanied by a Black Truffle Sauce Finished with Fois Gras

MONTECILLO GRAN RESERVA RIOJA
Smoked Braised Pork Belly Served Over Creamy Beans with Manchego Cheese, Roasted Pablano Pepper and Oven Dried Tomato

RENWOOD ZINFANDEL GRANDPERE
Moist Chocolate Cake Topped with a Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Icing served with a Sundried Cherry Jam

$59 plus tax and gratuity

(all wines have received a 90 point rating or higher)
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:07 pm

90 points or higher from what source?
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:90 points or higher from what source?

Does it really matter? Chasing "pointed" wines is frustrating and futile. Many times the highly rated ones are not distributed here (single vineyard stuff). If you can find the highly rated ones, they're priced high due to demand from the points chasers. Also, how do you know the reviewer's palate is in sync with yours? I pay little attention.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:90 points or higher from what source?

Does it really matter? Chasing "pointed" wines is frustrating and futile. Many times the highly rated ones are not distributed here (single vineyard stuff). If you can find the highly rated ones, they're priced high due to demand from the points chasers. Also, how do you know the reviewer's palate is in sync with yours? I pay little attention.

I generally agree with you, but I do tend to consider some better or more accurate sources than others. I don't give a wit about Parker or Wine Spectator, but I know that I have similar preferences in regard to most wine as Robin, so I do pay attention to shelf talkers from his site. There are some others I like as well.
no avatar
User

Sean Flaherty

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:52 pm

by Sean Flaherty » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:44 am

The wine ratining is on Varanese's web site. http://www.varanese.com.
no avatar
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by whom?

by Melissa Richards-Person » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:13 pm

The menu on the website specifies by wine - it's a mix of Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate, Wine Enthusiast and Wine News.