Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: BBC St Matt closing?

by Steve Shade » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Jerry C wrote:A little trivia for ya regarding the location that BBC will be leaving...

What was the name of the restaurant that operated in this location just prior to BBC (this should not be difficult for members here)..

Columbia Steakhouse, a second location from a place in Owensboro.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:02 pm

sorry, Columbia's is not correct...keep 'em coming.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Was it a seafood restaurant?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Was it a seafood restaurant?

You are getting warmer.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 pm

Sharkey's. A ChiChi's concept. Loved that place.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:15 am

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

To be exact it was G.W. Sharkey's and it was indeed operated by Chi-Chi's (I worked in the Chi-Chi's corporate office back then).

I found a pretty accurate history of Chi-Chi's here: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/chi-chi-s-inc-history/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Jerry C wrote:Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

To be exact it was G.W. Sharkey's and it was indeed operated by Chi-Chi's (I worked in the Chi-Chi's corporate office back then).

Good one, Jerry! I'm pretty sure I reviewed Sharkey's. :mrgreen:
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:33 am

I found a pretty accurate history of Chi-Chi's here: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/chi-chi-s-inc-history/

Actually...it was GW Sharkey's then Colby's (the aforementioned restaurant extension from Owensboro). Colby's moved out in late April 1993 and we started our brewery construction within days. Colby's was nice enough to leave a couple fresh kegs of Sam Adams Boston Lager for us to enjoy while painting and such.

What do I win 8) ?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 am

I must be getting old! Don't remember Colby's at all..how long was it there before BBC took over?
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:24 am

I remember Sharkey's. Went there when I was a kid. There a huge great white shark hanging from the ceiling.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 am

Wow. There was a Chi-Chi's in Bashford Manor Mall back in the day. That's the only one I can remember in Louisville. Pretty sure their food killed a few people...
Last edited by neal.johnson on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:40 am

There was a Chi Chis on Shelbyville Rd in the same shopping center where Fresh Market is today.
What's there now? Roosters? And wasn't there a Chi Chis out at Jeff Mall? Or am I thinking Tumbleweed? :?:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Carla G wrote:There was a Chi Chis on Shelbyville Rd in the same shopping center where Fresh Market is today.

I reviewed Chi-Chi's some time back in the middle '80s. It was a simpler time. :mrgreen: I do remember being impressed by the fried ice cream.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Shelbyville Road was the only one in the area. Then, a aggressive vice president, Sydney Frank(?), overbuilt, cannibalizing the stores in Louisville. Bashford Manor, Dixie Manor(?), Clarksville plus Shelbyville Road. Middletown had been on hour plus waits at night. Those other stores killed it.
I did love Monday night football. Taco bar. Loved their margaritas.
I believe it was green onions in a restaurant or restaurants somewhere in Pennsylvania that killed people:-(
You can still see their brand with mixes and some foods. I believe, Chris Morris did some of the mixer work when he left Brown-Forman for a while.
One sad note, a vice president and his son, who was an S/A, were killed along with one or two other people, in a plane crash. That might have been in the 80s. His daughter was a hostess at the Shelbyville Road location too.
Working at that location was a challenge at lunchtime, because corporate was nearby, and they could be very demanding...kinda rude, don't you think? Or is that just me, a former server? Worked there 4 1/2 years, lunch time, Mon.-Fri. Worked out well when my children were young. Went to work well after they left for school and got home before they did. With tips, about $200 per week:-)
After that, Kayrouz. Maybe one year. Then I got a 'real' job as they say. It's a shame people say that. I remember years ago, working at Tumbleweed (Mellwood), I was waiting on a table of Lakeside swim coaches and they made fun of me not having a 'real' job. Swim coaches.
(Have to stop reminiscing. Bad memories creeping back:-)
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Jerry C wrote:I must be getting old! Don't remember Colby's at all..how long was it there before BBC took over?

Colby's was there for maybe two years. They did the midnight exit; sign on the door as they locked up, walk-in coolers still stocked with food, full bar stock, etc.

We start brewery disassembly with the same crew that installed it in summer 1993. Hold on, I have something in my eye...
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
PreviousNext