Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

"Sanctuary Restaurants" - an idea for Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:07 am

I ran across this concept this morning on the Civil Eats blog, and it struck me as an idea that could take hold in Louisville. It's the kind of thing that can make a difference, and it's a fact that the restaurant industry has an awful lot of people in one or more of these endangered communities working in the front and back of the house.

In just two weeks—and without publicizing the campaign—65 restaurants across the country signed on to become Sanctuary Restaurants, prominently displaying window signs that they are a safe place for undocumented immigrants, Blacks, Muslims, and the LGBTQ community.

The Restaurant Industry Prepares for the Trump Era

Also, here's a link to the the Restaurant Opportunities Center United (ROC United), which organized the first program:

(ROC United)
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: "Sanctuary Restaurants" - an idea for Louisville?

by Margie L » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Bravo. I would go out of my way to patronize restaurants that support this concept.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Margie L wrote:Bravo. I would go out of my way to patronize restaurants that support this concept.

I feel the same way, Margie. I'd love it if a couple of our top chefs could sign on.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:39 pm

I think this is the stupidest idea ever developed in the restaurant industry! It's going to do nothing but drive a wedge between customers and patrons based on the political leanings of the restaurant. Instead of this the restaurants who feel strongly about this should work with their patrons to get the system to accept everyone equally like has been done in Louisville! Creating a subculture of restaurants that cater to the LGBT community is much like what has happened in the last 8 years to America. Instead of everyone working towards a common goal specific groups have been led to believe they have more power than anyone else and they get very upset when somebody reminds them that everybody is treated equally.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:45 am

Mark R. wrote:I think this is the stupidest idea ever developed in the restaurant industry!

:shock:
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:00 am

People being treated unequally is what is dividing America, Mark, not people complaining about unequal treatment. I think it's a good idea, especially given how dependent the restaurant industry is on undocumented workers.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:32 am

especially given how dependent the restaurant industry is on undocumented workers.

I've never really researched this, so forgive my naivety, but why wouldn't "undocumented workers" just go through the necessary process to become "legal"?
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:06 am

Nevermind, I see what this is about now....
Last edited by Alexis Rich on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:07 am

I am not an expert, but my understanding is that anyone who's been here over a year without papers is permanently barred from applying for a green card. And even if it were accommodating to, e.g. track workers/kitchen workers, the system is insanely backlogged, making it impossible in practice.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:10 pm

No Mark, this is not a political leaning. This is without a doubt a moral leaning. This is about safety for all. Only those that have not been victimized by a majority will see it as a political agenda.

I think it is a wonderful idea and I would happily patronize such a restaurant.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:51 am

Quoting Carla G,
"No Mark, this is not a political leaning. This is without a doubt a moral leaning. This is about safety for all. Only those that have not been victimized by a majority will see it as a political agenda.

I think it is a wonderful idea and I would happily patronize such a restaurant."

+1.

As I see it, this is more about offering a "safe place" to anyone who feels threatened. Sometimes folks who have been marginalized fear they might not be accepted or welcomed, and this says to those people, "This is a safe refuge for you."

What's wrong with that? It's not choosing one group over another. It's an attempt to include and support those who may feel alienated, frightened, or hopeless.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:31 am

Do you suppose that a deplorable Trump voter seeking refuge from an avalanche of leftist hate would be welcome?
:lol:

Or would this be a movement for gentry liberals to virtue signal to their peers by spending money in fine dining establishments that they were gonna spend anyway?
:roll:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 am

Steve H wrote:Do you suppose that a deplorable Trump voter seeking refuge from an avalanche of leftist hate would be welcome?

Or would this be a movement for gentry liberals to virtue signal to their peers by spending money in fine dining establishments that they were gonna spend anyway?

I think it means anyone can safely dine regardless of their race, religion or skin color. Even if that color is orange.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Steve H wrote:Do you suppose that a deplorable Trump voter seeking refuge from an avalanche of leftist hate would be welcome?

Someone shouted "grab em by the pussy" at my wife in broad daylight while she was holding our infant son recently. I have a lot of friends who are terrified they are going to have their marriages annulled by Trump's Supreme Court pick. I know refugee families who've had "terrorist" screamed at them. I know families where some are citizens and some are undocumented who are terrified that their mom is going to get reported to INS if she so much as visits a hospital. But sure, carry on whining about the "avalanche of hate" you deal with, you smug victim, you.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:19 pm

You know, the time for sophomoric libertarianism is past. We're basically effed as a nation, and anyone who helped make it happen via inaction is partly culpable.
Next