Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: "Sanctuary Restaurants" - an idea for Louisville?

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 am

Jerry C wrote:Been reading this crap for days now...hang in there Steve H. the silent majority will win again.

Burning Bush guy summed it up best.

Trump voters were neither silent nor a majority.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:22 am

Looking back over this long train wreck, I'm gobsmacked by the reality that this simple idea ...

Sanctuary Restaurants, prominently displaying window signs that they are a safe place for undocumented immigrants, Blacks, Muslims, and the LGBTQ community.

... has been read by certain people as a political and personal attack. I'm not sure there's anything more to be added to this thread.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 am

Steve A wrote:
The article from Robin's first link wrote:Most chefs are quick to say that doing good is not a partisan issue—or shouldn’t be. “No matter what our guests’ political beliefs are, they are welcome in our restaurants,” said Le Pigeon co-owners Gabriel Rucker and Andy Fortgang in a statement explaining their choice to donate to local immigrant rights groups. Yet, the statement continues, the climate for immigrants could be more hostile with the incoming administration. “The restaurant business has always been a major employer of immigrants and it is a group we care deeply about. Helping others is not a protest—it’s what we feel is the right thing to do.”

I'm squinting really hard. Don't see anything to get upset about there.

Right. I'll post this to my "Build the wall" Facebook page and set up our next meeting at a sanctuary restaurant. Do you think they'll mind if we ask for donations while we're there? Maybe we could hold an afternoon tea, sharing biscuits and conversation with La Raza?
(Don't freak out. I really don't have a "Build the wall" Facebook page)

Steve A wrote:
The article from Robin's second link wrote:Sanctuary Restaurants:
– Do not allow any harassment of any individual based on immigrant/refugee status, race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation to occur in their restaurant
– Place a prominent “SANCTUARY RESTAURANTS: A Place At the Table for Everyone” sign in the establishment
– Offer or obtain informational support through ROC United
– Participate in a peer network to exchange ideas and strategies for protecting targeted workers
– Experience increased patronage and support through a outreach partnership between ROC United and Presente.org

Might be just me, but that sounds pretty charitable, doesn't it?

Yes it sounds charitable, doesn't it. I truly didn't notice the mention of a sign requirement. And I'm guessing our compadre Iggy didn't notice either; or he would have linked to it during our conversation. So, thanks for bringing that to our attention. I do wish you would've brought this up before, as this may've have saved Iggy and I a lot of trouble.

Now, let's see if the presence of a sign really changes anything? It is my position that the sanctuary restaurant movement is to provide sanctuary from the Trump administration and his supporters. I can't logically reconcile the idea that it's possible to welcome the very thing from which sanctuary is being sought, sign or no sign. The best that can be hoped for is that the factions tolerate each other while dining. Does that sound like a pleasant atmosphere?

I guess it's possible for some restaurant owners to do this. But it seems likely only in areas with few Trump supporters to worry about anyway, an empty gesture in other words. I'd be very surprised if a Louisville area restaurant would do this as there are not enough customers to go around as it is.

Steve A wrote:But hey, don’t let the facts get in the way of a good ol’ troll or your own alternate reality.

I'm never afraid of facts. If you have some more alternate facts, please bring them!

Steve A wrote:
Steve H wrote:I never said I was smug. As I'm not smug.

Bless your heart!

You've lived here long enough to almost get the proper southern usage. Good job! Next time you should add one more word, as in: "Well, bless your heart". That's better, isn't it?

I accept that you think I'm a smug SOB. In my defense though, this was only in response to Iggy's accusations of smugness. I'd don't normally go around randomly denying my smugness. :lol:

I think in the future I should just ignore these insults when hurled my way. What do you think?

Please do me the favor and go back and review that first post I made in this thread. Was it really that bad? Does it seem especially smug? I think it stands up pretty well. The thread did evolve from there though. And I did play my part in that. But surely a fair minded person, such as yourself, can see that I wasn't talking into a vacuum.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:11 am

So, yes, it is in fact the racism, but the deeper problem is that racism has become so normalized for many Americans by generations of politically motivated dog whistles that it has become completely unconscious.

Peter's Choice
I asked my student why he voted for Trump. The answer was thoughtful, smart, and terrifying.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:18 am

Steve_H wrote:I can't logically reconcile the idea that it's possible to welcome the very thing from which sanctuary is being sought, sign or no sign.

I don't think this is unusual as you are making it out. People say variations of this idea in lots of walks of life: "Love the sinner hate the sin," "I don't have a problem with nationality X, just nationality X's government," etc. Those of us with politically mixed families do it every holiday. It's making a distinction between broader forces/institutions and the individuals you personally interact with on a human level.

Steve_H wrote:The best that can be hoped for is that the factions tolerate each other while dining."

Tolerance breeds understanding. It's a step in the right direction instead of towards the cliff.
Last edited by Iggy C on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 am

Robin Garr wrote:Looking back over this long train wreck, I'm gobsmacked by the reality that this simple idea ...

Sanctuary Restaurants, prominently displaying window signs that they are a safe place for undocumented immigrants, Blacks, Muslims, and the LGBTQ community.

... has been read by certain people as a political and personal attack. I'm not sure there's anything more to be added to this thread.

Sanctuary from what, Robin? By definition, there is no sanctuary unless something is excluded.

If you really and truly want to understand, think of the establishment of a sanctuary restaurant movement to protect certain people from the depredations of the Obama administration, homosexuality, illegal immigration, people of color, and gay wedding cakes.

Can you get far enough out of your bubble to visualize that?

And I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not personal for me. I think folks should have the right to serve those they choose to serve in anyway they wish to serve them.

But this is clearly political movement. How could you possibly deny that? The whole thing is set up to oppose Trump administration policies.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am

Robin Garr wrote:So, yes, it is in fact the racism, but the deeper problem is that racism has become so normalized for many Americans by generations of politically motivated dog whistles that it has become completely unconscious.

Peter's Choice
I asked my student why he voted for Trump. The answer was thoughtful, smart, and terrifying.

I read that article yesterday. It had good parts and bad parts.

The worst part is the condescension that the only bubble is a red state one for poor, benighted, ignorant people who just don't know no better.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:34 am

Robin Garr wrote: I'm gobsmacked

Complete horseshit. You knew full well that this posting about this "movement", a reaction to the election, would bring this very response. You baited people and got exactly what you wanted, all while not changing a single mind in the process.

If anyone wants sanctuary from this website to read about, y'know, local food, try this....

http://eatdrinktalk.net/

Rumor has it that Juan, our lone Mexican dude who was banished, has found sanctuary there. A safe place for all people.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:37 am

I have a hard time imagining myself getting worked up over a parallel conservative sanctuary movement as long as it weren't explicitly exclusionary. I'm imagining a sign that says "x groups welcome," where x groups = groups that conservatives feel are victimized, plus a mission statement that explicitly welcomes all people. Sure, fine.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:42 am

SilvioM wrote:

Complete horseshit. You knew full well that this posting about this "movement", a reaction to the election, would bring this very response. You baited people and got exactly what you wanted, all while not changing a single mind in the process.

If anyone wants sanctuary from this website to read about, y'know, local food, try this....

http://eatdrinktalk.net/

Rumor has it that Juan, our lone Mexican dude who was banished, has found sanctuary there. A safe place for all people.

Your hand-wringing is ridiculous. It is the easiest thing in the world to ignore this thread if you don't want to read it. And just remember that you still have total control over a lot of important safe spaces for conservative men, like the White House, Congress, and women's uteruses.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:45 am

I respect you Iggy. It might not seem so. You try to make your points honestly. You do use some understated snark, while mine is a more direct. :oops: I do try to only give snark for snark.
Iggy C wrote:
Steve_H wrote:I can't logically reconcile the idea that it's possible to welcome the very thing from which sanctuary is being sought, sign or no sign.

I don't think this is unusual as you are making it out. People say variations of this idea in lots of walks of life: "Love the sinner hate the sin," "I don't have a problem with nationality X, just nationality X's government," etc. Those of us with politically mixed families do it every holiday. It's making a distinction between broader forces/institutions and the individuals you personally interact with on a human level.

I understand and agree with everything you say here. I just disagree that it can be made to fit a restaurant environment in the way they are going about it. I will not rehash my reasons here.
Iggy C wrote:
Steve_H wrote:The best that can be hoped for is that the factions tolerate each other while dining.

Tolerance breeds understanding. It's a step in the right direction instead of towards the cliff.

I hardily agree with this. But, the first step toward tolerance can't be one of exclusion and opposition.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:51 am

Iggy C wrote:
SilvioM wrote:

Complete horseshit. You knew full well that this posting about this "movement", a reaction to the election, would bring this very response.

Your hand-wringing is ridiculous. It is the easiest thing in the world to ignore this thread if you don't want to read it. And just remember that you still have total control over a lot of important safe spaces for conservative men, like the White House, Congress, and women's uteruses.

I agree that he should just ignore threads in which he doesn't wish to participate, but you do realize that he's right, don't you?

Robin is the king of the rhetorical "Who? Me?"
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 am

Iggy C wrote:I have a hard time imagining myself getting worked up over a parallel conservative sanctuary movement as long as it weren't explicitly exclusionary. I'm imagining a sign that says "x groups welcome," where x groups = groups that conservatives feel are victimized, plus a mission statement that explicitly welcomes all people. Sure, fine.

Mind blown.
:lol:
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Steve H wrote:
Iggy C wrote:I have a hard time imagining myself getting worked up over a parallel conservative sanctuary movement as long as it weren't explicitly exclusionary. I'm imagining a sign that says "x groups welcome," where x groups = groups that conservatives feel are victimized, plus a mission statement that explicitly welcomes all people. Sure, fine.

Mind blown.

What's mind-blowing about this? At least they'd be paying lip service to the idea that everyone is welcome, which is a win for democratic pluralism. I've eaten in BBQ places that had to be forcibly desegregated by federal court order -- this is nothing.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Iggy C wrote:
Steve H wrote:

Mind blown.

What's mind-blowing about this? At least they'd be paying lip service to the idea that everyone is welcome, which is a win for democratic pluralism. I've eaten in BBQ places that had to be forcibly desegregated by federal court order -- this is nothing.

Okay, I'll tell you what is mind blowing about this. It is the sudden appearance of an open mind. Most of the fishes here are so used to the water, that they don't notice it.
PreviousNext