Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: "Sanctuary Restaurants" - an idea for Louisville?

by Adam Robinson » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Lots of bile in here, but I look at this in two ways:

1) From a purely financial standpoint, it does seem like a somewhat silly idea, because you will lose a decent percentage of your customers who view "sanctuary" and "safe spaces" quite a bit differently than you do, whether reasons are valid. Then again, I know very few people in small to medium size businesses who only run their companies from a "purely financial standpoint." They are generally people who care about what is going on in their world, whatever their belief system is.

2) From a more personal standpoint, I can't understand why this would bother anyone, even if you do believe the usage of the terms are ridiculous or insulting. There's not a lot (if anything) here that is exclusionary, and it seems to be nothing but welcoming, in an attempt at solidarity with people, who again whether their reasons are valid, may currently feel they aren't welcome. As a not totally analogous example, I have shopped at businesses who have "We say Merry Christmas here!" signs. Do I think the sentiment is childish, and take a small amount of offense that they believe "people like me" care that they say Merry Christmas? Sure. Does it bother me in the slightest that they are attempting to express solidarity with people whom they feel feel they are under siege in some way, in a generally non-offensive way? Of course not. Do I understand they feel people are trying to take important things from them (again, valid or not)? Yes, I do. I get it. Disagreement does not mean one cannot try to understand where the other person is coming from, even if the end result isn't necessarily happy puppies.

It is interesting how much this subject, though, seems to be a half-full/half-empty glass of water, or some blank slate upon which everyone's individual fears and anger can be drawn.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:35 pm

SilvioM wrote:
Robin Garr wrote: I'm gobsmacked

Complete horseshit. You knew full well that this posting about this "movement", a reaction to the election, would bring this very response. You baited people and got exactly what you wanted, all while not changing a single mind in the process.

Actually, Silvio, that's not so. I posted it because I thought it was a really good idea, and that some of the local restaurant folks might be eager to sign onto it in the current political climate, especially in the generally politically "blue" tone of Louisville.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Steve H wrote:I agree that he should just ignore threads in which he doesn't wish to participate, but you do realize that he's right, don't you?

Probably. But when most of the posts on a food forum are about politics, it's time to delete the account and move on. I'd do the same if my forums on other interests, like baseball and film, were overrun by politics. I'm involved and have a few leftist podcasts I listen to (I recommend the new Interceptors with Schapp and Greenwald), but the "need" for crossover is pretend.

Steve H wrote:Robin is the king of the rhetorical "Who? Me?"

Yes, it's been seen before. I'm also reminded of the "pretend outrage" that Sean Hannity peddles. Like that channel, time to turn this one off. Happy eating.....
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Just scanned the front page. Of the first 25 threads, I count 1 on politics.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Iggy C wrote:Just scanned the front page. Of the first 25 threads, I count 1 on politics.

That was my count, too. Of course, it's a loooong one. But I didn't plan that.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:52 am

Robin - After reading your posts here and on other forms of social media, am I correct is stating you beieve Trump supporters are less intelligent than non-Trump supporters and that Trump supporters are racist in regards to their views towards African Americans?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 am

I'm seeing stuff like this elsewhere. The "OK, so what?! I voted for Trump but that doesn't make me a bad person." post.
Here's the thing, regardless of what he says he'll do for the nation (and even that's if you can trust him) Trump is a three time adulterer that BRAGS about sexually assaulting women, refers to his own daughters as "Pieces of A**" on a national radio program, openly makes fun of and ridicules the handicapped and says "I could go out and shoot someone and my followers would still vote for me!"
And NONE of those things were deal breakers for those of you that voted for him.
And now here you are again posting all this angst because some restaurant wants to make a safe place for all to either work or dine. Well go cry.

And Robin, if I sound too...well, anything, I will gladly take a reprimand or you can invite me to leave. But frankly I've just watched while a bunch of old white guys signed away my rights over my own reproductive system and I'm pi**ed.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 am

charles.minter wrote:Robin - After reading your posts here and on other forms of social media, am I correct is stating you beieve Trump supporters are less intelligent than non-Trump supporters and that Trump supporters are racist in regards to their views towards African Americans?

Charles, those are generalizations, but overall, looking at America in general and not just the worthies participating in this discussion, I do believe that Trump represents the culmination of 50 years of the GOP "Southern Strategy." Google it if you don't know of it. Coded racial "dog whistles" are most effective on those predisposed to be wary of people different from themselves, and this predisposition is linked with lower intelligence on the basis of hundreds of peer-reviewed studies. As for this thread, I'd say the instant and visceral reaction that some people have to the idea of a restaurant declaring itself a safe space for threatened minorities pretty much speaks for itself.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:57 am

Robin Garr wrote:Charles, those are generalizations, but overall, looking at America in general and not just the worthies participating in this discussion, years of the GOP "Southern Strategy, ..."

Yeah. Negative generalizations about certain demographic groups are ok. Robin gets to pick which ones.

Robin Garr wrote:I do believe that Trump represents the culmination of 50. Google it if you don't know of it. Coded racial "dog whistles" are most effective on those predisposed to be wary of people different from themselves, and this predisposition is linked with lower intelligence on the basis of hundreds of peer-reviewed studies.
Just some more Marxist false consciousness hand-waving wrapped up in a bow by the 98% leftist university sociology departments.

Leftists are not only better.. more moral, more generous, more understanding, less prone to rash stereotyping... but darn it, they are just plain smarter too!
:lol:

Robin Garr wrote: As for this thread, I'd say the instant and visceral reaction that some people have to the idea of a restaurant declaring itself a safe space for threatened minorities pretty much speaks for itself.

Visceral? I suggest you go reread my first posts in this thread and then reread your first posts. Some opinions probably differ about who's posts are more visceral.

But I really don't oppose a sanctuary restaurant movement (let freedom ring, etc.), so why would I have a visceral response to that? I do question whether it sends the inclusive message that the organizers think it does. And I also question whether it will serve the interests of the illegal aliens under a newly invigorated INS, who will now have a list of places to conduct the raids.

So, just some more poorly thought out virtue signaling by our leftist betters.
Last edited by Steve H on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:26 am

Steve H wrote:Yeah negative generalizations about certain demographic groups are ok. Robin gets to pick which ones.

It's mostly based on their actions rather than their demographics. If racism and bigotry tend to pool in a particular sewer, that's not exactly the sewer's fault ...
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:29 am

Or maybe this is the problem.

https://youtu.be/gJhyu6nlGt8

Just...step...back and look.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:34 am

Carla G wrote:I'm seeing stuff like this elsewhere. The "OK, so what?! I voted for Trump but that doesn't make me a bad person." post.

This is the logical conclusion to all the leftist "the personal is political" and identity politics agitation over the years. I'm sure you were just as scared of Mitt Romney, who was also demonized by the left. Mitt Romney! If Mitt Romney is a Nazi, then what political arrows does the left have remaining when a Trump comes along? Mitt Romney!

And do you really think there were no valid reasons to oppose Sec. Clinton as president? Spare us the pearl clutching.

Carla G wrote:Here's the thing, regardless of what he says he'll do for the nation (and even that's if you can trust him) Trump is a three time adulterer that BRAGS about sexually assaulting women, refers to his own daughters as "Pieces of A**" on a national radio program, openly makes fun of and ridicules the handicapped and says "I could go out and shoot someone and my followers would still vote for me!"
And NONE of those things were deal breakers for those of you that voted for him.

The best description of this that I have read is that, paraphrasing... Trump supporters take him seriously but not literally, and Trump detractors take him literally but not seriously. It is interesting to watch though.

And actions do speak louder than words. I for one, do not understand how you could overlook Bill Clinton's real sexual depredations and Hillary Clinton's support for those. Do you remember 'bimbo eruptions'?

From over here, your concerns look more like situational ethics. There's now no moral grounds for you to object when those on the right sometimes acquiesce to situational ethics too. Is it any wonder that many folks tune all that out now? And Mitt Romney!

Carla G wrote:And now here you are again posting all this angst because some restaurant wants to make a safe place for all to either work or dine. Well go cry.

I think you misread me. I'm not opposed to sanctuary restaurants. So why would I be all angst ridden or cry over them?

Carla G wrote:And Robin, if I sound too...well, anything, I will gladly take a reprimand or you can invite me to leave. But frankly I've just watched while a bunch of old white guys signed away my rights over my own reproductive system and I'm pi**ed.

Take a deep breath. Your reproductive system will be fine.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve H wrote:Yeah negative generalizations about certain demographic groups are ok. Robin gets to pick which ones.

It's mostly based on their actions rather than their demographics. If racism and bigotry tend to pool in a particular sewer, that's not exactly the sewer's fault ...

The sad thing is that you really don't understand how condescending that this is. You deny that all these people have moral agency. They are not just some modeling clay to be shaped by others. You are blind to you own preconceptions and bigotry. Your sewer analogy says everything that needs to be said about your opinions of these people. It's astounding really.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 am

Carla G wrote:Or maybe this is the problem.

https://youtu.be/gJhyu6nlGt8

Just...step...back and look.

:lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:50 am

Just a few points Steve H
- Mitt Romney couldn't be scary if he tried.
- Trump literary assaulted women then bragged about. You simply cannot get around that.
- You have no idea what I thought or felt re: Bill Clinton's falandering. You just jumped in and assumed. Just like you did with the original poster.
- Re: Women's reproductive rights "Take a deep breath..." says the male who has never has the government tell him what he may or may not do to his own body. Steve, don't even go there. Even someone like you ((OMG! Those last four words alone will result in a dozen paragraphs from you. :lol: ) can see that women's rights have been trampled .

Cue the right wing posturing/rationalizing in three...two...
PreviousNext