Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Ginormous Food Network-Louisville

by Tony G » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:22 am

Last nights episode he was here in Louisville. Mussel and Burger Bar, Gary's on Spring and Come Back Inn. Outrageous plates. Anyone see it?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Ginormous Food Network-Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:34 am

Fun show . . . pure fluff, and ignored most of the top dishes at each place, but fun to watch . . . guess he's taking Adam Richman's mantle?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

amanda.rhye

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm

by amanda.rhye » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Good exposure though. A few of my friends are actually talking about a group outing to Gary's for that manhole cover sized platter of Hot Browns lol.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:05 am

Yeah, kind of silly, but the city got some good air time.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Yes, a very silly host and concept. But I did enjoy seeing the sights, and I've not been to any of the restaurants (Come Back probably 20 years ago, but a different owner then), so it put a few things on my radar that I'd like to check out, though I'll skip the five pound meals for something more reasonable.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Silvio, try Gary's shrimp and grits. We liked them so much my wife hounded him for the recipe so we could serve at a CA wedding. He shared it!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:07 pm

I found it interesting that none of the items that the host of the show ate were actually other menus of the restaurants. The only one that was even close was the burger at Mussel and Burger Bar which is on the menu in the regular form but not the double form. The Chicago beef sandwich while a menu item was completely different than the one on the menu. And a Hot Brown isn't even on the menu however it seemed like the patrons at least do about it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

amanda.rhye

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 pm

by amanda.rhye » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:42 pm

They have a "Baby Hot Brown" on the menu at Gary's, the platter is usually for catering requests from what I understand but it does exist. I'm pretty sure the other two items had to be completely made up just for the show. Yeah the host did strike me as pretty goofy, like he was almost trying to do a bad Adam imitation at some points lol.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

amanda.rhye wrote: . Yeah the host did strike me as pretty goofy, like he was almost trying to do a bad Adam imitation at some points lol.

I thought he sounded like he was trying to do a bad imitation of Guy Fieri who is just bad and annoying.

I watched the show only because of the Louisville connection. I thought all three of the Louisville people did a good job, especially Howard Baker (Garys).
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Mark R. wrote:I found it interesting that none of the items that the host of the show ate were actually other menus of the restaurants. The only one that was even close was the burger at Mussel and Burger Bar which is on the menu in the regular form but not the double form. The Chicago beef sandwich while a menu item was completely different than the one on the menu. And a Hot Brown isn't even on the menu however it seemed like the patrons at least do about it.

Yes, there is a hot brown appetizer on the menu. We get it every time we go. I guess they challenged the restaurants to do a ginormous version of a menu item. There is so much worse tv to view. This was fun to see familiar restaurants and people. Reminded me that there are so many choices in Louisville and too little time. Yes, situations are contrived such as HGTV and our local buyers who are involved. But they're harmless. Food network (still recording Damaris' show each week) and HGTV are about all I watch other than local programming and not that much news.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:48 pm

It's on again in about 15 minutes.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:27 am

Ellen, is Damaris's show still on? I really enjoy it but haven't been able to locate it recently. (My partner was a guest on one of her first shows.)