Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Local Tipo 00 Flour

User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

Local Tipo 00 Flour

by Bill P » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Any local sources for Tipo 00 flour? Don't need an industrial size 50lb bag. I sourced some at Walmart (gasp!) a while back, but they don't seem to stock it any longer.
Thanks.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Depauw, IN

Re: Local Tipo 00 Flour

by Bill P » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Uuugh. Should have check the obvious befroe posting this. Lotsa Pasta has it. Any place else?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:34 pm

I was going to nominate Lotsa Pasta. They always have it, although sometimes you have to ask in the back so they can bag some for you from their bulk supply. I don't know of anyone else that does, but I like supporting Lotsa Pasta anyway. A happy customer for 30 years ...
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Bill P wrote:Uuugh. Should have check the obvious befroe posting this. Lotsa Pasta has it. Any place else?

I get mine at Lotsa Pasta. I used to get it at Creation Gardens, too, but they no longer do retail sales. So, basically, no help here :?

You have a Rainbow Blossom store near you. I checked at one near me this morning and while they have flours from every grain imaginable, I saw no 00 flour.

My Kroger store had the product shown below in a specialty Italian area, but it has other ingredients and is not just flour. I see that the Delallo line of products (the brand in the photo) does include Tipo 00 flour. My Kroger is relatively small. If you are near a larger Kroger (JayC??), maybe it would have the flour on the specialty Italian shelf. Or, because they carry the Delallo line, maybe they would bring in the flour for you. I've seen the larger Kroger stores with a section they call "requested items" or "because you asked", and they stock special request items that might be of interest to other shoppers.

Do you use it for fresh pasta? I find it takes more liquid (eggs) to bring the dough together than amounts recommended in recipes calling for AP flour. Anyone else experience that? The physics of the finer grind would suggest so, too.
Attachments
almost_00_flour.jpg
almost_00_flour.jpg (98.58 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:36 am

Jay,
Thanks for checking around on this quest for me.
I use the 00 essentially for pizza crust...imo it does make a difference, but I'm probably a bit more particular about my crust than most folks. While we do make fresh pasta regularly, so far we've stuck with semolina and AP for that.