Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Steve's Smokehouse Bar-B-Q

no avatar
User

Kevin C

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun May 31, 2015 5:30 am

Steve's Smokehouse Bar-B-Q

by Kevin C » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:44 pm

This was some GREAT Bar-B-Q! What happen to this place???
Steve's Smokehouse Bar-B-Q, It was on Dixie Highway and then moved to 1107 Herr lane, Lou, KY 40222. That was the last place I saw it? around 1991. It was owned by Steve Hartung and his wife, Cindy.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Steve's Smokehouse Bar-B-Q

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:47 am

Kevin, this is another case of a place that I was apparently clueless about even though I was food critic for the CJ and Times during that time. Apparently Steve's was predecessor to the Los Aztecas in that free-standing building just south of Jade Palace on Herr Lane? Which I think might have originally been a bank building ... Does anyone remember it?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Kevin, this is another case of a place that I was apparently clueless about even though I was food critic for the CJ and Times during that time. Apparently Steve's was predecessor to the Los Aztecas in that free-standing building just south of Jade Palace on Herr Lane? Which I think might have originally been a bank building ... Does anyone remember it?

I didn't know about Dixie Hwy. He had a place in St Matthews close to BBC and than moved to Herr Ln. Closed it and went back to his construction business. A lady took it over because "I love to cook". Went broke quickly.

The Herr Lane location housed an Italian restaurant before the BBQ. Angelos or something like it.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:04 am

Steve Shade wrote:The Herr Lane location housed an Italian restaurant before the BBQ. Angelos or something like it.

I believe that's where Scott Harper got his start. I was thinking Angelo's was further north in the old Camelot center, but with your nudge, I do believe that's right.