Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Rope Sausage?

User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Rope Sausage?

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:41 am

Does anyone know a place that we can buy rope sausage similar to this? https://www.fontanini.com/food-services ... usage-rope

The restaurant we went to last night has that as one of their appetizers, and it's delicious. My husband misses it, as it was a childhood staple growing up in New York. I miss it too, and I've only had it one time!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Rope Sausage?

by Mark R. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Christina, I too grew up in upstate New York and miss those sausages! Would you mind sharing where you found them as an appetizer locally? Also, if you find a place to buy them please let me know.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:51 pm

Does it have to be a long rope? Lotsa Pasta makes an excellent fennel-scented Italian pork sausage, hot or mild, that's very similar to that, but it comes twisted off into maybe 8-inch links.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Does it have to be a long rope? Lotsa Pasta makes an excellent fennel-scented Italian pork sausage, hot or mild, that's very similar to that, but it comes twisted off into maybe 8-inch links.

We've had that and I agree it's very good. Maybe just my memory but from what I remember the rope sausage in a different distinctive flavor.

User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:45 pm

We went to Volare'. It was delicious! It was also served with some delicious peppers.

Sadly, my husband (the Italian) doesn't like fennel. (nor does he or his Italian mom like garlic!) *lol* I think most of the rope sausage has a more mild flavor than the Italian sausage that I usually buy from either Fresh Market or Lotsa Pasta. (love them both!)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Goodfellas was on TV last night; there's a scene where everyone's sitting around the back yard and there's a rope of sausage on the grill. Reminds me of my youth growing up in New Jersey. I still go back once a year or so and stock up on sausage and Taylor ham. The closest I've found to the taste of that type of sausage around here is Johnsonville brats. To me, a lot of it has to do with a coarser grind of the meat.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Richard S. wrote: The closest I've found to the taste of that type of sausage around here is Johnsonville brats. To me, a lot of it has to do with a coarser grind of the meat.

Again, maybe it's my memory because of the length of time but the Johnsonville brats (which I do like) seem to be fattier in the ropes I think I remember from when I was growing up in upstate New York.

no avatar
User

Paul Skulas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 pm

by Paul Skulas » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:43 am

I know Whole foods carries it. If you can't find it, you can order sheep's casing, and make your own.

Austin at Commonwealth Cure has made some for a special order in the past.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:45 am

I know restaurant depot has it but it's geared towards the state fair kiosks etc plus you need to be a member to buy there. I would ask Food Hole (whole foods) or kingsly's (the best Italian sausage I have found) they will probably make it into a rope for you. Heck Kroger may do that too as I love their Chorizo (yes, from Kroger).
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 am

check out Kentucky made Vito's, it may be available to taste at the Bristol:

http://www.vitositaliansausage.com/

Vito's Authentic Old World Italian Sausage is made with all natural ingredients and no preservatives from a family recipe that's unchanged for 100 years.

Vito's is sold retail in 1¼lb links (5 links/pack) or 1lb bulk packages and comes in mild or robust flavors. It can be purchased wholesale in 10lb cases by contacting Rene, 859-509-5056.