Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken?

by Bryan Shepherd » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:11 am

Anyone been to Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken in Memphis? It sounds like this dude has struck gold with his birds.
BShep
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken?

by James Natsis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:49 pm

"World Famous"??? Where does this come from? Did someone from Australia sign their guestbook?
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:54 pm

James Natsis wrote:"World Famous"??? Where does this come from? Did someone from Australia sign their guestbook?

:D You are certainly correct about that! World-famous is nothing more than a marketing term since there is no regulation about what a restaurant or anything else has to have or have done in order to use it. It's like many of the other terms used in the food industry such as "Fresh", "Natural", etc. Everyone uses them to mean whatever they want them to mean since there is no requirements about their use. Maybe somebody that had been there told somebody in Japan about the place when they were on vacation. That would make it world-famous right? :mrgreen:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Fabulous chicken. Originally in a small town about an hour or so NE of Memphis, and a family member opened the Memphis branch. No decor, old building, dirt floor. Medium "hot" level only. Fried on white bread slices to soak up any grease. Unlike Nashville versions, looks like "normal" fried chicken; heat comes slowly and build as you eat (tho never too hot). Has made major "top 10" lists for fried chicken forever (40 yrs I'm aware of), including lists from Australian and other international papers and media. Hit that and the Rendezvous (and/or maybe Corky's or Interstate) and you will hit the old standards for Memphis!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Paul Skulas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 pm

by Paul Skulas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:41 pm

I've been to the Memphis spot. It's more about the whole experience.

Always a big line, you step in, put your name down and wait outside. It's not the best part of Memphis but it was nice to sit on the curb drinking a beer, that they sell inside, joking with friends.

The chicken was really good. If I went tomorrow it would be probably very different.

I think though from a day to day visit, Royals is much better and more consistent.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:00 pm

My wife dragged me out to Sweetie Pie's in St Louis last year because, well, Oprah says ya gotta go there. Gosh darn if the place wasn't even open because of the Thanksgiving Holiday. Missed that life experience but still was credited with the brownie points. I see it as a win-win.

As for "World Famous," we can add Original Tommy's World Famous Hamburgers, Ray's World Famous Bar-BQ (that's a two-for-oner, since its in Memphis as well) JB's World Famous Pizza, Sam's World Famous Steak Sandwiches, Bill's World Famous Burritos, and who knows how many more. I guess instead of visiting all of the Hard Rock Cafes and collect their t-shirts, one can just opt to visit all of the "word famous" eating joints.
James J. Natsis
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:, dirt floor.

How does this happen? I'd love to be an HD inspector in Memphis, the bribes must be enormous!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:55 pm

RonnieD wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:, dirt floor.

How does this happen? I'd love to be an HD inspector in Memphis, the bribes must be enormous!

May not be any more . . . last time I actually ate there was maybe 15 years ago? From all I've read, supposedly unchanged, and chicken still listed on all the same lists . . . and it was GREAT back then.

I believe it was grandfathered in, as the city was trying to entice more business into an industrial area in the two blocks between downtown & the river; the kitchen area (maybe 10x15, behind a swinging door, with a couple of fryers and an unseen cooktop plus refrigeration) was concrete floor, but the dining area seemed dirt; the dirt was packed down by centuries of feet walking, so there weren't clumps of dust or dirt flying around, but it (at least back then) wasn't sealed!

The chicken was great, and the experience fun. One reason we haven't been back (aside from not visiting Memphis that often) was that my wife is not a fan of decrepit buildings with negative atmosphere. She likes cleanliness, and a professional wait staff and appearance. I loved the feel of going back in time, but this may be a "one and done" visit for many!
Andrew Mellman