Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sonics

User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

Re: Sonics

by Robert Carnighan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:02 am

When Sonic first opened in Springhurst if you had spent that dollar on the stock rather than the double cheeseburger, your stock today would be worth three dollars and forty two cents. Skip the burgers; buy the stock.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Years ago, still having an occasional fast food snack, stopped at the one on S. Hurstbourne, south of Taylorsville Road. Haven't been on that stretch in a decade, maybe.
Anyway, bit into a hamburger and it was if it was either a plastic burger or one that had been left in there overnight. Actually couldn't bite into it, fortunately.
These things you don't forget :-)
Money back and never returned.
Years ago, there was one at PCB on the way to the bay, to Thomas Drive after you crossed bridge from Panama City. We stopped there, after renting a boat to go to Shell Island. Nice to sit outside. (No, didn't stay near there. Stayed far west PCB, Sunnyside.)
Another memory. Could never figure out how to order or where to eat. Sit in your car? Walk up to a window? Inside?
Haven't been in a Steak & Shake in years either. Ate at my first one in Florida many decades ago. My dad liked it because they were so white and clean. I can still taste that very good vanilla shake.
Food and travel memories....
Ellen
User

StevenSkees

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:18 am

by StevenSkees » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Sonic, for whatever reason, has a long history of opening up locations around Louisville that close rather quickly. I don't know what it is about them. They seem to be doing well as a chain overall, but can't seem to succeed here... at all. The Bardstown Road location (near the Costco) lasted maybe two or three years (it was in the old Taco Bell), which seems to be about the going rate for a Sonic. That's not completely out of the ordinary for some new upstart in the restaurant industry, but for an established fast food chain that seems to know what they're doing, that's kind of unusual. There is one Sonic that I know of in Louisville that has managed to stay strong and hold on for at least the past 15-20 years: the location at Winkler and Algonquin Parkway, sort of near UofL. Even there, though, I hardly ever see any customers.

Personally, I've only been to Sonic once and there was just something... off... about it. I didn't like anything that I ordered, but it came down to the mozzarella sticks, I think. I've never experienced mozzarella sticks anywhere that I didn't like until Sonic, I thought it was something that nobody could mess up. Yet they did, and I haven't been inclined to try anything on their menu again since then.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 am

I drove by the old Sonic on Lyndon Lane this week and noticed that the building was being gutted. Apparently it's going to become a Waffle House, according to the building permit.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:03 am

One of the few times that building a Waffle House would be an improvement! :lol:
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:50 pm

Rich S wrote:I drove by the old Sonic on Lyndon Lane this week and noticed that the building was being gutted. Apparently it's going to become a Waffle House, according to the building permit.

Awesome! (grew up in a highway town in Georgia, I love waffle house)
Previous