Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

The "New" Winston's restaurant.

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:33 pm

I just read an article on business first thing that when Winston's reopens its entire menu is going to be gluten-free. Not that I mind things that are gluten-free but I really don't think it's something that most people look for when they are selecting a place for dinner. Except for the limited number of people that are allergic to it has not been proven that having a gluten-free diet is beneficial in any way. It would be interesting to know what their reasoning for this is.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: The "New" Winston's restaurant.

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:46 pm

While I don't know how similar recipes might be, could it be that if one knows how to make the gluten-free version of "XXXX", then making the 'normal' version of "XXXX" might be easy? (I'm thinking that the main purpose is to educate future chefs et al, so if they can master the harder version the easier would be a given)
Andrew Mellman
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Glutten free bread isn't my thing! I like good bread with my meal. Guess I won't be eating at Winston's!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:While I don't know how similar recipes might be, could it be that if one knows how to make the gluten-free version of "XXXX", then making the 'normal' version of "XXXX" might be easy? (I'm thinking that the main purpose is to educate future chefs et al, so if they can master the harder version the easier would be a given)

This wouldn't be necessarily the case. Gluten free cooking involves the use of a lot of different non-wheat derived flours and stabilizers. So if you were baking a brownie recipe with teff flour and xanthan gum, you wouldn't be able to substitute the good old Lily White flour you've got on hand and expect the same results. In a lot of cases gluten free recipes call for the omission of other ingredients that are usually used with gluten containing flours such as eggs and dairy. So if you've not been taught that the proteins in eggs are the structural support that holds up many of your baked goods and that adding whipped egg whites to a batter makes it more fluffy and light, you'd most likely not know that either of those ingredients can be utilized in a number of other non-baking applications.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Since my lovely bride was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a year and a half ago....we have both came to the conclusion that the cooks...oh I'm sorry "Chef's" :roll: in 80% of local restaurants don't know what a "gluten" is...That or they just -assume- that anyone requesting a "Gluten Free" menu is just on some kind of "Hippie diet" and a little crouton in the salad won't hurt a thing. The list of culinary/allergen faux pas we've experienced in the past year (at locations ranging from fine dining to carry out joints) is either comical or frightening - depending on one's perspective. The fact that Winston's is (apparently) attempting to educate the next generation of culinarians <lol> in the importance of actually BEING gluten free when you SAY you are gluten free is indeed a welcome change. We will look forward to dining at Winston's in the near future. ,two thumbs up>.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:11 am

Pretty much think that Gluten free thing has jumped the shark, except for people who actually have Celiac Sprue disease.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:40 am

I sincerely feel for those people that have debilitating food allergies. Those without such problems should thank their lucky stars that they can go into almost any restaurant they want and find something to eat that won't hurt them or make them sick. That's an on going risk for some people, whether it's a gluten , dairy, nut, shellfish or some other allergen , a slip up in the kitchen can, for many, mean a night in the emergency room.
I simply don't understand the intolerance voiced by those that needn't worry about such things. Maybe be grateful instead of snippy.
Kudos to Winstons for their educational leadership.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:03 pm

It's really as simple as this: If I want a big bowl of gluteny yum, I'll give Winston's a pass. Otherwise, I'll give them a look when my gluten needs are not calling. We have a city full of amazing places to eat. Winston's is now just another unique option.

Good times.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:12 pm

RonnieD wrote:It's really as simple as this: If I want a big bowl of gluteny yum, I'll give Winston's a pass. Otherwise, I'll give them a look when my gluten needs are not calling. We have a city full of amazing places to eat. Winston's is now just another unique option.

Good times.

That sounds more than reasonable to me.
Thank you Ronnie. <3
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Lest I generalize -too- aggressively, let me say that there ARE local restaurants who accommodate a gluten free diet well...Especially with advance notice. A good example would be Chef McGarity at the Fat Lamb who was recently going to go out of his way to accommodate my wife's gluten allergy - unfortunately work related activities gave us a late start to the evening and we were unable to enjoy his culinary accommodations....but (Thank you Dallas) the gesture certainly did not pass unappreciated.

Unfortunately for every Chef McGarity/Fat Lamb there seem to be two other restaurants where they just don't "get it" when it comes to food allergies. I don't know if this is from a lack of training or a lack of caring but trust me, it's a significant problem...
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: The "New" Winston's restaurant

by Deb Hall » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Gluten free isn't just for people with allergies. Lots of folks ( myself included) are eating low-carb, and many gluten- free foods are not bread substitutes, but offer options for higher fiber, lower carb, DELICIOUS foods. Think served over polenta instead of pasta, sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, wonderfully flavored dried beans...

Dallas does a fabulous job of this at The Fat Lamb- there are 6 gluten-free mains and you'd never know they were " a special diet". I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Winston's will offer.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Steve P wrote:Since my lovely bride was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a year and a half ago....we have both came to the conclusion that the cooks...oh I'm sorry "Chef's" :roll: in 80% of local restaurants don't know what a "gluten" is...That or they just -assume- that anyone requesting a "Gluten Free" menu is just on some kind of "Hippie diet" and a little crouton in the salad won't hurt a thing. The list of culinary/allergen faux pas we've experienced in the past year (at locations ranging from fine dining to carry out joints) is either comical or frightening - depending on one's perspective. The fact that Winston's is (apparently) attempting to educate the next generation of culinarians <lol> in the importance of actually BEING gluten free when you SAY you are gluten free is indeed a welcome change. We will look forward to dining at Winston's in the near future. ,two thumbs up>.

It must have been horrible to be diagnosed with Celiacs when so many people have been using "gluten allergy" as a crutch to get what they want. I'm very interested to know how/why they came to believe and eventually diagnose her. (does she have a blog, or can you direct me to one that would educate me more?) I'm glad you are able to find places that can accomodate her needs!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Christina Hall wrote:It must have been horrible to be diagnosed with Celiacs when so many people have been using "gluten allergy" as a crutch to get what they want. I'm very interested to know how/why they came to believe and eventually diagnose her. (does she have a blog, or can you direct me to one that would educate me more?) I'm glad you are able to find places that can accomodate her needs!

My lovely bride had been having gastrointestinal "issues" for three or four years - she went to several doctors during that time but none of them correctly diagnosed the problem. Finally she hooked up with this female Gastroenterologist (Dr. Sunana Sohi - the only female G-I in Louisville - my wife loves her) - and she put my wife through a battery of upper and lower G-I tests. The results were conclusive - she has celiac disease (they can tell by looking at the villi in your lower intestine). Depending on who's estimates you use, approximately 2% of the population -has- Celiac Disease, the majority of them (83% mis or undiagnosed)...another 3 or 4% of the population has a legitimate "gluten sensitivity"....So basically(are you listening restaurateurs) if you serve 100 people a day, 6 of them have -legitimate- issues with gluten.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:54 am

Interesting. Thank you!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Carla G wrote:I sincerely feel for those people that have debilitating food allergies. Those without such problems should thank their lucky stars that they can go into almost any restaurant they want and find something to eat that won't hurt them or make them sick. That's an on going risk for some people, whether it's a gluten , dairy, nut, shellfish or some other allergen , a slip up in the kitchen can, for many, mean a night in the emergency room.
I simply don't understand the intolerance voiced by those that needn't worry about such things. Maybe be grateful instead of snippy.
Kudos to Winstons for their educational leadership.

People are intolerant, IMO, because for quite a while there most everyone claiming they were "gluten intolerant" were just really rude, attention seeking a-holes who wanted every dish changed, often in impossible ways, to support their made up illness. I don't have celiac, but I have a great many intestinal issues, some of which can be debilitating if I'm not careful, so I, for one, have a particularly negative view of people who choose to pretend they are ill (even if they are just mistaken), and, worse, scream at wait staff and chefs, making any of us who do actually have to avoid certain types of food look like insane people. This was pretty damned prevalent a few years back.

Fortunately, it appears they've moved on to whatever new diet fad they've found in Goop, and the people actually suffering from celiac disease can hopefully have better, more considered options.