Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

3rd Turn Brewery Expanding to Oldham County

by Michele Janosek » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Fun news from the great folks at 3rd Turn in J-town! If you've not yet ventured into the heart of J-town, you really need to check these guys out.

http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_culture/3rd-turn-brewing-to-open-new-brewery-and-farm-in-oldham-county/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: 3rd Turn Brewery Expanding to Oldham County

by Carla G » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Yeah!
Can't be soon enough!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:43 pm

Is Oldham County a completely wet county now?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:19 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Is Oldham County a completely wet county now?

Not quite ... Carla or Steve may be able to correct me, but I think it's open for bars and taverns. Package liquor is legal only in incorporated cities. LaGrange for sure, but I'm not sure if Crestwood is incorporated, That's not really relevant to this question anyway. :oops: Also, state law carves out some easier paths for brewpubs and microbreweries serving on premises, so there's that, too.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Not quite ... Carla or Steve may be able to correct me, but I think it's open for bars and taverns. Package liquor is legal only in incorporated cities. LaGrange for sure, but I'm not sure if Crestwood is incorporated, That's not really relevant to this question anyway. :oops: Also, state law carves out some easier paths for brewpubs and microbreweries serving on premises, so there's that, too.

I have no idea how the laws apply. I do know that recently Crestwood got a new drive through liquor store but it's tiny. I haven't been in. The market, before it closed, carried 6 packs. (Shrugs) That's all I know.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:54 am

December 29, 2015 Oldham County, KY voted to expand the liquor law from "moist" to "wet". The vote was 5,688 to 3,420. Packaged alcohol can now be sold countywide. In North Oldham, a package liquor store is being built at the top of the hill on U.S. Highway 42 as you cross the county line. I think it will have a tough time competing against the Prospect Party Center for choice or value.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:40 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:December 29, 2015 Oldham County, KY voted to expand the liquor law from "moist" to "wet". The vote was 5,688 to 3,420. Packaged alcohol can now be sold countywide. In North Oldham, a package liquor store is being built at the top of the hill on U.S. Highway 42 as you cross the county line. I think it will have a tough time competing against the Prospect Party Center for choice or value.

Thanks for the details, Ed. My knowledge was clearly out of date. :oops:

Is that North Oldham liquor store on the south side of the highway? They might be banking on quick-stop commuter traffic that will no longer need to wait to turn left into the Prospect Party Center and turn left again to come out? That could probably be a significant chunk of change for a small business.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:09 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Ed Vermillion wrote:December 29, 2015 Oldham County, KY voted to expand the liquor law from "moist" to "wet". The vote was 5,688 to 3,420. Packaged alcohol can now be sold countywide. In North Oldham, a package liquor store is being built at the top of the hill on U.S. Highway 42 as you cross the county line. I think it will have a tough time competing against the Prospect Party Center for choice or value.

Thanks for the details, Ed. My knowledge was clearly out of date. :oops:

Is that North Oldham liquor store on the south side of the highway? They might be banking on quick-stop commuter traffic that will no longer need to wait to turn left into the Prospect Party Center and turn left again to come out? That could probably be a significant chunk of change for a small business.

It is on the South side of the roadway on part of the old Melrose property, next to the defunct car wash. It will be competing against the quick 6 pack niche at Thorntons and a soon to be completed (rumored) IGA. Things are getting crowded atop the hill! For a quick fix on mainstream ETOH I'm sure they'll survive. But you would be hard pressed to find a better local liquor businessman than Jamie Masticola at Prospect Party Center.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:41 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:But you would be hard pressed to find a better local liquor businessman than Jamie Masticola at Prospect Party Center.

Yep! Jamie is a good man, and a good person to know if you're looking for a special bottle.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:

December 29, 2015 Oldham County, KY voted to expand the liquor law from "moist" to "wet". The vote was 5,688 to 3,420.

Also know as "That Day the Baptists Went Out of Their MINDS".... :lol: :lol: 8)
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Looks like they will be located on the former site of Boone-Gardner Greenhouse/Landscaping...(former) Purveyors of significantly overpriced trees and shrubs.

Glancing at 3rd Turns website and their (current) selections, I will admit to having reservations about the viability of locating a taproom on a back-road in Crestwood KY - Particularly, given the local Republicans aversion to any alcoholic libation that doesn't contain the word/s "Lite" or "Light" and isn't consumed directly from the bottle...This along with the fact that many of them couldn't spell "IPA" if you spotted them the "I".

What the hell though, they will be a short bike ride or moderate crawl back to the Patio - So I have no doubt I'll become an early patron.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:10 am

Yeah I was thinking the same thing when the artisan distillery went in. But, what with their hosting events, receptions and tours Yew Dell Gardens seems to offer some exposure to the area. I'm just grateful there's something to do in the area besides the shooting range. :oops:
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Steve P wrote:Looks like they will be located on the former site of Boone-Gardner Greenhouse/Landscaping...(former) Purveyors of significantly overpriced trees and shrubs.

Glancing at 3rd Turns website and their (current) selections, I will admit to having reservations about the viability of locating a taproom on a back-road in Crestwood KY - Particularly, given the local Republicans aversion to any alcoholic libation that doesn't contain the word/s "Lite" or "Light" and isn't consumed directly from the bottle...This along with the fact that many of them couldn't spell "IPA" if you spotted them the "I".

What the hell though, they will be a short bike ride or moderate crawl back to the Patio - So I have no doubt I'll become an early patron.

Lol. So true. The archaic laws of this state are disgusting. Robin! Why did you move back to KY from NY?!?! My fiance and I are desperately trying to get out of here.
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

by Scott Hack » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:17 pm

When I owned the pizza shop in Crestwood, Oldham was still moist and it made it tough to do business at times. I think the real challenge for them is going to be food. Nearly every really successful micro brewery has a strong food program. I don't know if that location will do well without a food program and from their website, it looks like the Jtown location is just a tap room, with no food?

The old Minish and Potts property has a few things going for it though. It will be a unique setting it sounds like and on the weekends when people from all over KY drive out to Yew Dell for events or a visit, they will be a stone's throw away. Also that is right over by where the Moose Lodge is. A private "club" that has been serving alcohol for a long time. So the right people will see it pretty quickly.

-Scott
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:16 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Robin! Why did you move back to KY from NY?!?! My fiance and I are desperately trying to get out of here.

Inside the Watterson. Crescent Hill. Our precinct voted something like 80:20 for Clinton.
Next