Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Emperor of China closed ?

no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Emperor of China closed ?

by Mark A. » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:54 pm

When did this happen ? I called last night to get a carryout and the phone number has been disconnected. Drove by this morning and "For Lease" is in the window.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Emperor of China closed ?

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:52 pm

That was a long, slow, and painful death to watch.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:28 pm

I'm not sure how it lasted this long . . . food wasn't bad, but service was terrible (worse for carryout than eating in) and most importantly just walking in the door put you in the middle of a management soap opera!
Andrew Mellman
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:01 pm

Perhaps I'm just nostalgic but I remember Emperor having the best Chinese food ever. I would give anything to eat their Szechuan shrimp and Mongolian beef again. Sizzling rice soup served tableside? It was amazing. I also remember watching the servers in their amazingly tailored outfits "slide" down the ramp opposite the kitchen in their flat shoes. When you're 8 years old, that's pretty cool.

I'd say it lost its mojo in the late 90s and never recovered. I think the proliferation of sushi joints really hurt them a lot. Plus, service was a nightmare. I remember being berated (loud enough for other tables to hear) by the owner for not eating the raw turnip garnish. It was awkward.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Agree with everything Andrew said, and I am sure the 8 month long Kroger remodel did not help their foot traffic.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:31 am

I honestly thought it was their full-time resident barflies that kept the place alive. Maybe they started getting old and dying off? :?
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:19 am

Been closed at least 10 days. Believe me, the Kroger remodel had little to do with it. Their parking lot was empty long before the remodel began.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:57 am

A friend and I went within the last 4 or 5 months and it had fallen off dramatically. Prior to that my last visit was years ago when the owner horrifically embarrassed my daughter in front of her male employees. I think she went a bit off tilt frankly.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:20 am

I'm with Ed. It hurt me to watch it.

I worked there for a year in the 80's when it was some of the best Chinese in town.

Then Pop died. Roland left. It never recovered.

Not to change the subject, but Peter at Jade Palace recently retired. I did not have a good experience with the new ownership. I hope we're not looking at a similar situation.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:07 pm

It must be the season for Chinese restaurants to me making changes. Peking City Bistro in Middletown has also changed hands, don't know if the Peking City Bistro Express on DuPont Circle has changed hands or not. The last time we were at Peking City Bistro it was not a good experience, their food has definitely gone downhill and very greasy.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:47 pm

We tried calling Jade Palace several times last Thursday evening (around 5:30 or 5:45 pm) no answer.

I agree about Peking City, although I still crave their dumplings!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei