Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Au Bon Pain to Norton Childrens Hospital

by James Natsis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:40 pm

I was actually thinking of how to post on this after returning from a trip earlier this week from DC. I've noticed these past two years a clear growth in the presence of places such as Au Bon Pain, Prêt a Manger, le Pain Quotidien, and a few other French-names places in the central business district. We had some Au Bon Pain for our catered breakfast, and I decided to drop into Le Pain Quotidien, and a Prêt a Manger to check them out. Au Bon Pain is like Panera, Le Pain Quotidien like Ghyslain, and Prêt, well, a bit more unique.

Started out of London, Prêt has about 14 locations in DC and about 40 in NYC according to the website. As the name suggests "Ready to Eat," its a quick in, grab, and out type of place. But I must say, my sandwich was served on a fresh, crunchy baguette that won my approval of someone jonzin for a such a quick sandwich that is easily found throughout France. They tend to specialize in croissants which I didn't end up tasting, but a guy next to me eating one said I wouldn't be disappointed. Crew members were replemishing the cooler regularly with fresh content as I sat and watched for about 30 minutes trying to get a good feel for the place.

Bottom line---these places are quickly replacing the corner McDonalds and its ilk in some city centers. And for the better may I add!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Au Bon Pain to Norton Childrens Hospital

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm working on a pun about someone coming in to Norton yelling "Ow! Bone Pain!" but I think it's probably too soon ... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:01 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm working on a pun about someone coming in to Norton yelling "Ow! Bone Pain!" but I think it's probably too soon ... :mrgreen:

While you work on your pun I'll propose a motto of "Non pain non grain."
James J. Natsis
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:17 pm

A couple of years ago, my mother-in-law spent a couple of months in the Cleveland Clinic - We were there a LOT...As one of the first hospital groups to ban "fast food" on campus, the primary cafeteria/eatery on campus was Au Bon Pain...Compared to typical "hospital cafeteria" fare, we thought they did an outstanding job of providing healthy food at an affordable price. Glad to see Norton get with the program.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio