Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Another one bites the dust

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Another one bites the dust

by Mark R. » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:00 am

I just read on insider Louisville that the "Melting Pot" restaurant on Hurstbourne Parkway closed its doors last week. While certainly not a spectacular dining location it was a fun place to go for dinner occasionally. He was very different than the other with local restaurants and is no other place that I know of where you can have fondue served tableside. Few times we were there they always seem to be very busy so I wonder if the problem was a management issue rather than a lack of customer issue.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Another one bites the dust

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:45 am

We went once, when it first opened in 2004, to do a review. I thought it was bizarrely expensive and not very good. We never went back, and I hadn't even thought about it for years. Honestly didn't realize it was still around. I'm sorry for the folks who lost jobs, though.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:27 pm

I went once when I lived in Chicago, it was hideously expensive and we never went back again. Kind of wondering what their market demographic is, and why they chose to target that non growing segment.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:32 pm

They also had a bizarre wine program, with a big glass wine cellar with a list very much like Ruth's Chris: Dramatically marked up "trophy" bottles from bad vintages. "Chateau Margaux with your fondue, sir"? :lol:
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:20 pm

I went once back in '07 it was fun but yes, expensive. I hate to hear it closed but surprised it lasted this long.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Robin summed it up perfectly. I'll leave it at that.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I went once when I lived in Chicago, it was hideously expensive and we never went back again. Kind of wondering what their market demographic is, and why they chose to target that non growing segment.

It seemed to be popular with the prom crowd. Lots of teenagers rolling up in limousines and ugly formal clothes.
no avatar
User

StaceyBreckel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 am

by StaceyBreckel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I just saw last night on my time line that The Melting Pot will be returning, effective today.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:36 am

StaceyBreckel wrote:I just saw last night on my time line that The Melting Pot will be returning, effective today.

Their web site says, "reopening today (yesterday), now taking reservations" . . . you'd think if it were remodeling or change of ownership/franchisee they'd have said so back in November! Terrible marketing . . .
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
StaceyBreckel wrote:I just saw last night on my time line that The Melting Pot will be returning, effective today.

Their web site says, "reopening today (yesterday), now taking reservations" . . . you'd think if it were remodeling or change of ownership/franchisee they'd have said so back in November! Terrible marketing . . .

From what I saw elsewhere when they closed there was no plan to reopen or remodel. After they closed a local person who love to restaurant stepped up and bought the franchise. There was a story about on the news last night too in the interview the guy who was a new franchisee! I do agree however that the website ought to state that is under new ownership, that would certainly be good PR. The sign on the building however does say that it's under new ownership.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:31 pm

User

Carla G