Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Korean food, a warming choice for chilly days

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 am

Korean food, a warming choice for chilly days

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Charim’s panchan, the array of shared condiments, pickles and kimchee that add delight to the Korean table.

I’m wild about Asian food. From India across Southeast Asia to Japan and China in all its regional delights, my Asian culinary favorite is usually whichever I had last.

But winter’s coming on now - believe it, even if the leaves are still mostly green and the breezes balmy as I write this - and cold weather makes my Asian dining fancy lightly turn to thoughts of Korean food.

Why does Korean food strike me as winter fare? Well, it’s hearty and filling, a cuisine that seems a cousin to Chinese with touches of Japan; but over many centuries it has evolved to fit the style of the land on which it lies. Korea’s changing climate - much like winter in the United States - gets people thinking about hearty stews, sturdy root vegetables, fermented goodies, and warming fire in red, piquant chilies and pepper sauce.

Today we’ll visit two favorites: Charim Korean Restaurant in St. Matthews, which recently launched an appealing new menu; and Rice Bowl in New Albany, a new spot that is already receiving raves from a lot of my Hoosier foodie friends. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/5847-2

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Rice Bowl
3114 Grant Line Road
New Albany, Ind.
(812) 590-6786
https://facebook.com/RiceBowlKoreanNewAlbanyIn
Robin Garr’s rating: 86 points

Charim Korean Restaurant
4123 Oechsli Ave.
290-8900
https://facebook.com/Charimkorean
Robin Garr’s rating: 89 points
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Korean food, a warming choice for chilly days

by michael.powell » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:30 pm

To my knowledge, the only spot in town that has LA-style BBQ at the table is Koreana (and it is awesome). Anyone know anywhere else?
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:35 pm

michael.powell wrote:To my knowledge, the only spot in town that has LA-style BBQ at the table is Koreana (and it is awesome). Anyone know anywhere else?

Koreana is the only one I know of. The Korean place that preceded Osaka had them, but the owner died in a tragic auto accident, and that was the end of that. I didn't know it was LA-style, though. It was commonplace in the "Korean Garment District" in NYC, near my office when I worked there, and they all had them; I was under the impression it came from Korea, not a U.S. innovation.
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
michael.powell wrote:To my knowledge, the only spot in town that has LA-style BBQ at the table is Koreana (and it is awesome). Anyone know anywhere else?

Koreana is the only one I know of. The Korean place that preceded Osaka had them, but the owner died in a tragic auto accident, and that was the end of that. I didn't know it was LA-style, though. It was commonplace in the "Korean Garment District" in NYC, near my office when I worked there, and they all had them; I was under the impression it came from Korea, not a U.S. innovation.

LA-style probably isn't an accurate term. I just tend to associate Korean BBQ with LA since it's particularly popular there.
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri