Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sam's Gyros

User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Sam's Gyros

by Marsha L. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:39 am

Sam's Gyros is finally open in Cardinal Station near U of L (South Third Street, across from Wagner's).

I got take-away from there last night, just two traditional gyros with my choice of toppings, I chose cucumber, tomato and a lovely parsley salad with tzatziki sauce. Bright, clean, good branding, no language barrier (not a deal breaker but comfortable). They also have greek salad, schwarma, falafel, fries, Philly Cheesesteaks and a salad version of every sandwich. They even have baklava for dessert, and it looked homemade. Each huge gyros only $5.99.

I can't wait to go back! We go to that shopping center at least three times a week. Check them out!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

Re: Sam's Gyros

by Marsha L. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:43 am

Oh, also: It's THE CONE of meat, right there in front of you.
Marsha Lynch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks for the report, Marsha! Do they have felafels too?
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:44 am

yes!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Marsha, did you buy any chance notice if said cone was a Kronos preformed meat cone, or a cone compiled of actual pieces of stacked meat? I am gyros fan, but have found every version in the city to use a Kronos or other pre-packaged meat.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kronos meat strip versions, but have long been on a quest for the other version, and have yet to find one locally.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:53 am

I think it was a Kronos cone, not stacked meat. But at least the cone!
Marsha Lynch
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 am

Hey Dan,
I'm pretty sure Safier on 4th has a real, stacked beef cone. Their beef shawarma, while significantly different from a traditional gyros in terms of flavor, is fantastic (and I've raved about their chicken shawarma as well, but that's a different story).
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Martha, thank you for your reply, and Steve, thank you for the tip. I am definitely going to check out Safier
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:43 pm

I stopped in here yesterday based on this thread. Although they do have falafel on the menu, they were out so I opted for a chicken platter with rice. Very tasty; the rice was heavy on the chicken broth (which suited me just fine). Good addition to the campus area.
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:58 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:Hey Dan,
I'm pretty sure Safier on 4th has a real, stacked beef cone. Their beef shawarma, while significantly different from a traditional gyros in terms of flavor, is fantastic (and I've raved about their chicken shawarma as well, but that's a different story).

Is the cone in the kitchen? I've never noticed it the many times I've stopped in. Usually it's in sight of the counter.
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:33 am

Hey Michael,
You can see it from the counter. Back near the flat-top, I think. I was in there just yesterday and had the beef shawarma. I can definitely confirm it is stacked meat, and DAMN tasty stacked meat at that. It has a tartness, almost reminiscent of sauerbraten, of all things.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:01 am

I was there last night, Kronos cone was right next to flat top, they had the gyro meat in a warmer however in the front where they assemble the gyro. Wasn't all that busy at about 5:30pm. maybe they cut it off the cone when they need to get some more ready. Everything looked good and all seemed pretty fresh including Pitas. I think I still prefer Jerusalem Cafe but its not bad and probably a busier location. Prices are great.

GG
User

michael.powell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 pm

by michael.powell » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:Hey Michael,
You can see it from the counter. Back near the flat-top, I think. I was in there just yesterday and had the beef shawarma. I can definitely confirm it is stacked meat, and DAMN tasty stacked meat at that. It has a tartness, almost reminiscent of sauerbraten, of all things.

I had never noticed it before. Thanks for the tip. I used to work in the Bisig building across the street and I'm pretty sure I ate there 3x/week the entire time I was there.
“Shut the front door, son of Tatum O’Neal, that’s dynamite.” - Guy Fieri
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Richard S. wrote:I stopped in here yesterday based on this thread. Although they do have falafel on the menu, they were out so I opted for a chicken platter with rice. Very tasty; the rice was heavy on the chicken broth (which suited me just fine). Good addition to the campus area.

I stopped in as well this afternoon based on this thread. I had a gyro platter. It was comprised of sliced gyro, salad, and rice. It costs $7.99. A very good bargain for the portion size and quality. Nothing fancy, nor excellent. But a simple formula with good prices across the board.

I spoke with one of the guys afterwards outside. He informed me that they were in the process of signing a lease for a space in the Kroger plaza at Westport and Hurstborne.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

AliciaWilder

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:24 am

by AliciaWilder » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:50 am

That just made my day! We have great food around here, but I'll drive across town for a good Gyro! Thanks for sharing!