Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Prep-Meal delivery services

User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Prep-Meal delivery services

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:27 am

Our October issue of Consumer Reports magazine talks about some meal delivery services that you can join who send you all the necessary ingredients(literally everything but the plate) and instructions on how to make dinner. The places they rated were Hello French, Green Chef, Plated, Purple Carrot, and Blue Apron. In general, the cost per meal was about $11(double what it would cost if you went to the grocery and bought everything separately), and it took about a half hour to put it all together. Considering the time(and gas money) involved in going to the grocery in person, and you usually can't buy exactly what you need quantity-wise when you're shopping for a single meal or two, there could be some waste; so with that in mind, the extra cost of these services doesn't sound too bad. I think I might try it. I like getting things in the mail, plus since I take care of my mother full-time, it would help us.

Has anybody tried this?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Prep-Meal delivery services

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:34 am

The concept doesn't appeal to me because of my cooking style, but I know people who do Blue Apron and Purple Carrot and are pleased.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Gordon I totally agree with your reasoning since you're cooking for one or two. After a while time, gas and frustration in finding quality ingredients make these services more desirable to me.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:55 am

I'll be getting my second week of Blue Apron tomorrow. The first three meals we sampled were quite good. Ingredient quality was excellent (we particularly liked the quality of the fish included for one of the recipes). Blue Apron has a LOT of ethnic recipes and I like that you are not buying ingredients, like spices, that you'll never use prior to them getting long in the tooth. Instructions are clear, with very nicely-done recipe cards. The service definitely promises to encourage me to stray from my comfort zone in terms of menu planning. Most recipes also seem to be quite good on calories/fat content as well, although if you were to "season with salt and pepper" as often as instructed, the sodium bill would be substantial. BTW, Consumer's dinged Blue Apron for not having much nutrition information but they have rectified that by now including a full nutritional brochure for each recipe.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:18 pm

We have friends who were using Plated a few years ago, and loved it. They made 2 different meals for us (in one dinner, so we all shared), and I can tell you it was wonderful! It also got our one friend into cooking as he learned through making these meals. I've considered this option from time to time, but I like to play with my own ideas in the kitchen. That wouldn't necessarily stop me, but the price and commitment is a consideration for me. I haven't seen one that will let you choose just one meal/week, which I would appreciate. My other big deterrent is choice. For those of you who have tried these services, do they let you pick from a menu, or do you simply get what they're sending that week?
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:20 pm

We use Blue Apron for two meals a week and we have been happy. The prep sometimes takes a little longer than expected, but that's more because my wife and I haven't been very big at home cooking people. The quality of the ingredients and end products have been good. Eventually we plan on duplicating the recipes we like ourselves.

The best part of it is that we are "forced" to make dinner at least twice a week and catch up.

The worst part of it is finding someone who could use the ice packs or emptying them out (they are safe to be emptied in sink) before pitching them.

I've talked to people who use other services and they all sounds pretty similar to me.

Good luck!

Doug W
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote: The places they rated were Hello French, Green Chef, Plated, Purple Carrot, and Blue Apron.

Could you sum up the ratings? Were any of the services head and shoulders above the rest? Thanks.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:42 pm

2 meals isn't too bad, but I wish they'd let you choose from a menu, and offer a once/week plan. Guess I'll still be wingin it in my kitchen. Leftover brussel sprouts, anyone? (Joke, I don't like them)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Kim H wrote:2 meals isn't too bad, but I wish they'd let you choose from a menu, and offer a once/week plan. Guess I'll still be wingin it in my kitchen. Leftover brussel sprouts, anyone? (Joke, I don't like them)

I didn't like B Sprouts until I had the Korean-style roasted brussels sprouts that were on a special seasonal menu at Rye. :shock:
no avatar
User

todd.turner

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 pm

by todd.turner » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:18 pm

https://www.fixemeals.com Is a local version based in Butchertown ... $25 for two meals, free delivery ... can order same morning ... more flexibility than shipped products and often uses local food, etc.