Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Kimball, America's Test Kitchen in messy lawsuit

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:18 pm

I'm really not sure which side to root against here. Whose side are you on? :mrgreen:

The New York Times wrote:Food Fight Heats Up as America’s Test Kitchen Sues a Founder

Christopher Kimball was dressed in a Victorian costume and heading out the door to trick-or-treat with young relatives Monday evening when he got word that one of the food media’s messiest divorces was about to get a lot messier.

The owners of America’s Test Kitchen had that day filed a 39-page lawsuit against Mr. Kimball, the bow-tied avatar of New England-flavored American cookery, along with his longtime public relations consultant, a loyal assistant and the executive producer who is also his third wife.

The complaint says they conspired to “literally and conceptually rip off” America’s Test Kitchen, the Boston-based television, radio and publishing empire that Mr. Kimball helped create, in order to start Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street, their glossy new brand whose magazine debuted this month.

There are allegations of stolen customer lists and trade secrets, sneaky tactics to secure a radio deal and new office space, and a breach of fiduciary duty on the part of Mr. Kimball, who remains a limited partner in America’s Test Kitchen.

And yes, there are email servers involved. ...

Link to the full story in The New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/dinin ... il0=y&_r=0
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Kimball, America's Test Kitchen in messy lawsuit

by TP Lowe » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:20 pm

I got my first copy of his new magazine yesterday, having been a Cook's Magazine reader for probably 15 years. There are striking similarities between the two (surprise!). It is interesting that he retained his ownership in his previous employer. No way that would end well.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Kimball, America's Test Kitchen in messy lawsuit

by Leah S » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 am

I got my first issue of Milk Street yesterday also! It does have the same "feel" as Cook's, but the size of the magazine is annoying. Content is excellent.