Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Yoki Buffet

no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Yoki Buffet

by Terri Beam » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:35 am

I spied the other day a banner at the previous Hometown Buffet location off Blankenbaker announcing "Yoki Buffet." I'm guessing it's going to be Chinese, but Yoki could also be Japanese. I'm not sure that part of town could sustain an Asian buffet as there have been two in the location that now houses an Indian buffet.

Nothing has happened with the former Ryan's location in Fern Creek. I'd love to see something good move in there, but that's a pretty large building for an independent operation (unless the Martinez operation is involved *hint hint*). It'll probably wind up being a TV repair shop or paint store like some previous iterations of Ryan's around town. :roll: I'm still pretty miffed that Marrick's closed. While we have a large assortment of restaurants in FC, only the sushi places are really noteworthy.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Re: Yoki Buffet

by Ray Griffith » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:54 pm

The name certainly sounds Japanese. While buffets can be passable with other cuisines, Japanese food and buffet just doesn't sound appealing.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:44 am

Thinking about the way these things often work, I'm guessing a Chinese/Asian buffet with "sushi" as a feature. Wasn't there a place like that way out Westport Road past the Ford plant once upon a time?
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:51 am

Robin Garr wrote:Thinking about the way these things often work, I'm guessing a Chinese/Asian buffet with "sushi" as a feature. Wasn't there a place like that way out Westport Road past the Ford plant once upon a time?

You may be thinking of Umai Zushi Buffet, which was at 3710 Chamberlain Lane. That building also used to be a Hometown Buffet location.

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/umai- ... shi-spread
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Rich S wrote:You may be thinking of Umai Zushi Buffet, which was at 3710 Chamberlain Lane. That building also used to be a Hometown Buffet location.

I'm sure that's right, Rich. Thanks for reminding me of my own review. :lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 am

I hope it's not another affiliate of Jumbo Buffet and all the awfulness associated with them and human slavery and trafficking.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Carla G wrote:I hope it's not another affiliate of Jumbo Buffet and all the awfulness associated with them and human slavery and trafficking.

Not familiar of the human trafficking at Jumbo Buffet. I go there fairly often and consider it the best Chinese buffet I have been to. Please advise.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:38 pm

My mistake. It was Golden Palace Buffet back in 2014. (There was a topic about it in the forum as well.) I had it confused with the bad business Jumbo Buffet in La Grange was involved in back in 2009.

My General rule of thumb anymore is "If it's really cheap there's usually a good reason for it and I'm not going to like it."

http://www.leoweekly.com/2014/06/modern-day-slavery/

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25587501/loui ... rafficking

https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/chine ... al-workers

Also from ice.gov

January 7, 2009

Louisville, KY

Kentucky restaurant owner sentenced to 8 months for employing illegal aliens

LOUISVILLE, Ky.- The owner of a LaGrange restaurant was sentenced Tuesday to eight months in federal prison following his guilty plea to knowingly employing illegal aliens. This sentence resulted from an investigation conducted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Fei Guo Tang, 38, of LaGrange, Ky., is the owner of Jumbo Buffet located at 1218 Market St. in LaGrange. He was sentenced Jan. 6 by U.S. District Court Judge Charles R. Simpson III, Western District of Kentucky, to eight months in prison for employing illegal aliens at his restaurant. Tang was also sentenced to serve three years of supervised release following his release from prison.

Tang had pleaded guilty to knowingly employing at least 10 illegal aliens at his restaurant between November 2006 and November 2007 for commercial advantage and financial gain. He was arrested Nov. 14, 2007, when ICE agents executed a search warrant at his restaurant. During the search warrant ICE agents seized about $59,000 from the restaurant, which will be forfeited to the United States, and detained six illegal aliens found working at the restaurant, who have since been deported.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:21 pm

It should be noted, though, that the charges against the Golden Palace Buffet were thrown out. Last I heard the owners were suing LMPD.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/27493403/owne ... ainst-lmpd

The Jumbo Buffet next to the Showcase is our regular Friday lunch spot.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Interesting. It's been two years. I wonder what happened to the counter suit.