Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Slice Sandwich Shop Closed

no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

Slice Sandwich Shop Closed

by bob.durbin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:11 am

https://m.facebook.com/slicelou/?tsid=0 ... =typeahead

Above is the link to their closing announcement on their Facebook page.

While it's never good to see someone have to close their business's doors, I called this one from the beginning. I was actually banned from commenting on their Facebook page because I pointed out how bad of a choice that location was before they opened. No foot traffic, lack of a developed retail district in the neighborhood, the rampant drug use, trafficking, and prostitution along the Oak Street corridor, lack of any real parking area and being too far from downtown to make bike delivery an actually viable form of lunch service.

I feel these are the things that plague any current or future restaurateur who may think about opening a concept in the neighborhood. I live in Old Louisville, and love the neighborhood, but it's not designed to be a restaurant neighborhood. The only sit down restaurants that do well in the neighborhood all have one thing in common, their own parking lots.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

Re: Slice Sandwich Shop Closed

by Adam C » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:07 pm

I was rooting for Matt and hate that it didn't work out for him. Say whatever you want the guy is a grinder and I respect that. The food was good and I enjoyed the experience, liked the interior, goofy concept etc. Old Louisville is such an underrated gem I am always hoping for the best. It has suffered from decades of neglect/mismanagement/whatever you want to call it but I have hope in it's comeback. Other cities would kill for an area like that. It's special no doubt. But yeah, it's a tough spot for sure. Kudos to Matt for walking the walk, giving it his best, and actually doing something rather than just sitting on the sidelines talking.