Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ladies Lunch

User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Ladies Lunch

by Leslie Stewart » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:32 am

I'm looking for someplace my mom and her group of "girls" (all in their 80s) can get together for a nice but not too expensive lunch this week. It needs to stay in the Highlands/Clifton/St. Matthews area, preferably with off-street parking and accessible entry without too many stairs. Previously they have dined at the Bristol, the Irish Rover, and Meridian, but are looking for someplace new. They are not opposed to chain restaurants, but were disappointed by the Cheesecake Factory where they dined most recently. They are tired of Rafferty's, and one woman in the group does not want to eat at Ramsi's because she doesn't want to try "weird food." They do not want BBQ, Mexican or Asian cuisine. So far I've suggested Noosh Nosh and North End Cafe - any other suggestions?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Ladies Lunch

by Carla G » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:17 am

What about Mesh? I've had several fine luncheon meals there. They might enjoy seeing how the restaurant has been updated too.

Another consideration may be 211 Clover. A bit more formal.

While I enjoyed a nice lunch at Anoosh Bistro, I found Anoosh Nosh very disappointing both food and service wise.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:24 am

Carla G wrote:While I enjoyed a nice lunch at Anoosh Bistro, I found Anoosh Nosh very disappointing both food and service wise.

That shows how different people have different experiences and opinions of restaurants. We really enjoyed Anoosh Nosh, great food (what else would you expect from Anoosh) and when we've been there the service was very good. The atmosphere is also nice and light and not overpowering.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Leslie Stewart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

by Leslie Stewart » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:36 am

Carla G wrote:What about Mesh? I've had several fine luncheon meals there. They might enjoy seeing how the restaurant has been updated too.

Another consideration may be 211 Clover. A bit more formal.

While I enjoyed a nice lunch at Anoosh Bistro, I found Anoosh Nosh very disappointing both food and service wise.

Actually, they did try Mesh and Mom found it only "meh." I haven't asked her about 211 Clover Lane - she's more familiar with what I consider to be a rather difficult traffic area myself, but I'm not sure about the rest of the group. I'll mention it. Thanks!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:51 am

Mark R. wrote:
Carla G wrote:While I enjoyed a nice lunch at Anoosh Bistro, I found Anoosh Nosh very disappointing both food and service wise.

That shows how different people have different experiences and opinions of restaurants. We really enjoyed Anoosh Nosh, great food (what else would you expect from Anoosh) and when we've been there the service was very good. The atmosphere is also nice and light and not overpowering.

Glad your experience was positive but I had two different lunches there, in both situations the dish I was delivered was not as discribed on the menu and in one trip, despite the fact I arrived just as doors were opened service lagged badly as if no one was ready for opening. (Shrugs) Neither are major problems I guess but I did give them 2 attempts and with so many other places to try....
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:32 pm

Carla G wrote: despite the fact I arrived just as doors were opened service lagged badly as if no one was ready for opening.

Actually I've found that that getting to a restaurant right when it's opening is not always the best thing. The staff isn't into the swing of things yet and they haven't wound up to speed. This applies for both the kitchen in the waitstaff. When they get hit by the rush things start clicking like clockwork. I seen this happen in several different restaurants around town, especially at ones that really are busy at peak times.

I certainly agree however about having so many good restaurants that if you have a bad experience that one you're not that likely to return.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:11 pm

Caffe Classico. That is all. A perfect fit for location, style, price, service and accessibility.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:52 pm

Ladies that lunch-- we love them at Anoosh Bistro & Noosh Nosh.. Carla G, I am sorry that you did not have a good experience at Noosh Nosh-- As an owner, we work so hard to get our staff trained , and to hear that we failed a guest is another opportunity to improve training..
Cafe Classico, Cheddar Box 2, Ghyslain in Westport Village,,, are also places I would recommend for a group of ladies...
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:35 am

Is Meridien still there? That's perfect for ladies who lunch, but the parking can get tricky.

Then there's The Cafe on Brent, but I'm not sure if that meets their geographical boundaries.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:36 am

May I suggest Coals Artisan Pizza! If pizza is not their thing we serve sandwiches, soups and salads.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:42 pm

I think the Uptown is a good spot and often overlooked. Also, North End has parking at both locations.