Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ciao Louisville

no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

Ciao Louisville

by John NA » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:56 pm

I've been a big fan of Luigi's downtown. I know he's supposed to open a new restaurant, Ciao. Anyone know when it's going to open or if it's still in the works? Thanks.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Ciao Louisville

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 pm

There's been an ongoing thread about that restaurant, is going into the old Baxter Station location. Here's a link to the thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22408&hilit=Ciao they been saying it was going to open for quite a while but so far it hasn't!

Here's a link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ciao.louisville/ they haven't posted anything said September 28 and on that day they said they were just putting the finishing touches on. Not sure what's going on and why they have an open but hopefully they will soon.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:32 am

Ciao in the old Baxter Station has been on the verge of opening for months! I'm eager to see it finally open the doors.

I do have to say that Luigi's makes really good NYC pizza, but is also known for NYC style service. ;) I hope Ciao will step that up a notch.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:08 pm

I've probably been to Luigi's 20 or more times and I've never had an issue with their service. Order at the counter, not much more to it. Several staff members are clearly ESL, so one shouldn't expect a wordy greeting, but that's okay.

I started going there over 12 years ago after visits to the Science Center. At a recent visit, with the kids now older, an Italian-accented cook noted that he remembered that I've been bringing them in since they were "this big" (hands a foot apart). I digress..... but I thought it was kind of cool.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:10 pm

I work downtown and Luigi's is one of the closer places for me and co-workers to get lunch. We just have to decide if our desire for good pizza outweighs our desire to simply be spoken to and addressed in a courteous manner by the main person in there.
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks, especially for the Facebook link. I happen to appreciate Luigi's, ahem, style. Of course, growing up in the NYC region, it reminds me of home. :D :D :D
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:04 am

New York style pizza in Louisville? Fagettaboutit! It's that NY water that makes the crust so special! I have my reservations about those who make this claim.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:45 am

neal.johnson wrote:New York style pizza in Louisville? Fagettaboutit! It's that NY water that makes the crust so special! I have my reservations about those who make this claim.

That's bagels. It's NY water that makes the bagels! Or so they say. I've never heard that claim about pizza. The main pizza rumor is the one about the Mob makes them all buy bad, overpriced cheese from "connected" suppliers, and that's why a slice doesn't taste the same as it used ta. But the Mob wouldn't mess with something as sacred as dough. You could look it up.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:51 am

Robin Garr wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:New York style pizza in Louisville? Fagettaboutit! It's that NY water that makes the crust so special! I have my reservations about those who make this claim.

That's bagels. It's NY water that makes the bagels! Or so they say. I've never heard that claim about pizza. The main pizza rumor is the one about the Mob makes them all buy bad, overpriced cheese from "connected" suppliers, and that's why a slice doesn't taste the same as it used ta. But the Mob wouldn't mess with something as sacred as dough. You could look it up.

I distinctly recall seeing something somewhere about a pizzeria in Denver shipping in NYC water for its dough bc that's what makes it so good. Having lived in Western and upstate New York for almost 3 years, I can confirm that there's something going on in that state. Pizza that good isn't an accident.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:02 am

bob.durbin wrote:Having lived in Western and upstate New York for almost 3 years, I can confirm that there's something going on in that state. Pizza that good isn't an accident.

I dunno, Bob. I've lived in NYC too, and I agree that there's excellent pizza there. I think it's cultural, though, more than the water ... after all, the city gets pure, clean Catskills water, but it travels through 100 miles of ancient, rusty pipes. The rest of the state gets its water from very different places. Rochester and Buffalo aren't even in the same watershed as New York City and Long Island.

If you've got time to waste this morning, I thought these links were interesting:

An interesting NPR piece debunking the bagel water theory.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... -the-water

A gloriously obsessive piece by Kenji Lopez-Alt, eventually debunking the pizza water theory.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... ality.html
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:43 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:01 pm

JustinHammond wrote:http://eatupnewyork.com/why-is-new-york-city-pizza-so-good/

Good article, but I'm also going with Kenji's exhaustive testing on that, not to mention my own experience living in NYC and in Italy, where the median pizza crust is demonstrably better than The City. "It's the water" is a nice concept, but I'm not convinced with regard to either pizza or bagels.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 am

I think "New York Style" pizza use to be the benchmark. Every time Mark and I would visit New York we would have a pizza at Lombardy. Now when we visit New York we make a beeline to Keste. I don't know when I made the switch but I now prefer a more delicate pie to those heavy, dense, chewy, high protein crusts.
no avatar
User

Bridgette P

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:40 pm

by Bridgette P » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:35 am

John NA wrote:I've been a big fan of Luigi's downtown. I know he's supposed to open a new restaurant, Ciao. Anyone know when it's going to open or if it's still in the works? Thanks.

Hi Friends. My name is Bridgette Pizzonia. I am Luigi's partner at Ciao. We have been working really hard to perfect our menu. Our Plans are to open the first or second week of November. I will post the opening date as soon as I have it. Thanks for your interest and I look forward to seeing you soon. Ciao
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:26 am

Bridgette P wrote:Hi Friends. My name is Bridgette Pizzonia. I am Luigi's partner at Ciao. We have been working really hard to perfect our menu. Our Plans are to open the first or second week of November. I will post the opening date as soon as I have it. Thanks for your interest and I look forward to seeing you soon. Ciao

Thanks, Bridgette! We look forward to enjoying Ciao. Thanks for coming to the forum, and don't be a stranger here!
Next