Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Food Trends for 2008

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Food Trends for 2008

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:08 am

Thought this was interesting from a recent NPR broadcast:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17880731
Deb
no avatar
User

Will Gaines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 am

Louisville

by Will Gaines » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:50 am

I believe that "dark dining" is going to keep coming on strong in 2008. Apparently this is big in Europe, and now places are popping up out west. They say that dining in complete darkness enhances your sense of taste, smell, and touch. I may give this a try the next time I am out in Cali.

http://www.darkdining.com/
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:34 am

One of my best friends is totally blind, and she has a very acute sense of taste and smell. Very interesting indeed!
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:02 pm

I know someone who likes to read while eating; she'd hate such a place.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 pm

Bedford Crenshaw wrote:I know someone who likes to read while eating; she'd hate such a place.

Does she like to eat while reading at a restaurant? :shock:
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:25 pm

I've taken books, newspapers and even work with me to restaurants when dining out alone.

I don't think that's shocking.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:33 pm

So have I. That doesn't mean I'm holding a magazine or a novel in my left hand while eatting spoonfuls of soup with my right. Bringing it doesn't mean your reading while eatting. ;) It's something I might do at home, but not at a restaurant. At least not at one that isn't very casual, such as a pizza parlor, or sandwhich shop.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:24 pm

I read while I'm eating solo. I don't see anything different in doing it at a white tablecloth place...Only problem on occasion is dim lighting, and then I ask for a table with good lighting if possible.

I also tend to read food-related things (Gourmet, Heat, etc.) which has led to some great conversaytions with the waitstaff.

Deb
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:
Bedford Crenshaw wrote:I know someone who likes to read while eating; she'd hate such a place.

Does she like to eat while reading at a restaurant? :shock:

Yep; she has for years.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Deb Hall wrote:I read while I'm eating solo. I don't see anything different in doing it at a white tablecloth place...Only problem on occasion is dim lighting, and then I ask for a table with good lighting if possible.

I also tend to read food-related things (Gourmet, Heat, etc.) which has led to some great conversaytions with the waitstaff

I'm with you on this, Deb. When I worked in a day job that involved a lot of travel (many trips around all 50 states over three or four years), I was doing some very intense and sometimes emotionally draining work with homeless shelters, soup kitchens, food pantries and such. By nightfall I was ready to relax, and being a foodie, that meant eating out, either at interesting ethnic places or decent white-tablecloth joints. I'd be dining alone, and I didn't want to eat at the bar or chat up the bartender. I invariably brought a book and enjoyed a quiet dinner <i>and</i> something to read. I don't see anything impolite or inappropriate about this.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Heh, that's fine, I can be the weird one. Not the first time and certainly won't be the last! :D
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:24 am

Eating and reading- two of my favorite things- even better together.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am

I have no problem with eating and reading when dining alone. I would have a problem with eating in the dark. I think a large part of the enjoyment of food is seeing it, plate presentation. Let's hope this is just a fad and passes quickly. One of my more frequent complaints in restaurants is that the lighting level is too low to be able to read the menu. Maybe I should put a penlight in my purse . . .
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:23 am

I'll tilt my dining preferences to include places that carry Leo and or horrors! Velocity, so I can read while waiting for the food or eating it. I also do this out of town so I'm reading the Dayton city paper or other local alt weekly.

GG.