Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Red Hog

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Red Hog

by Ron Johnson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:21 pm

It is open, and it is glorious. Seems like it took them a decade to get the place open, but the wait was worth it.

There are two sides with separate entrances. I assume this has to do with some arcane regulation barring the retail sale of meat products in the same space as prepared foods, but it really isn't an issue.

The butcher shop is just outstanding. The type of place that we have needed in this town for a long time. All high-quality meats from reputable sources displayed beautifully. the selection is small but well-chosen. The dry-aged rib-eyes were showstoppers. The staff is extremely knowledgable and friendly. They want to educate, inform and make sure you eat well.

The cafe side is equally brilliant. A wood burning pizza oven, argentine-style grill and small bar area churn out pizzas, small plates and adult beverages. My Negroni was perfect. The chalkboard menu changes based on what is fresh from next door. We had lamb tartare that was so fresh and flavorful, I almost ordered seconds. We were on our way to dinner elsewhere so we didn't sample the other offerings, but they all looked great. Hello chili dog! There are two or three communal tables. This isn't a place for a long meal, but more a cocktail and a bite.

The only negatives are that the cafe is said to only be open on Thurs to Saturday, and the retail side is closed Sunday and Monday. It is a crying shame to see that place sitting there dark when you need a heritage breed pork chop! But, it's consistent with the Blue Dog policy of closing two days per week, so not entirely unexpected.

This place is a serious addition to the Louisville dining scene.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Red Hog

by Jeremy J » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:25 pm

I'm all for giving people a break, but man, a lot of servers and bartenders are gonna miss being able to check that place out. Sure hope they decide to add more days soon.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Completely agree. It's the most bizarre business model I've ever seen. I hate to think how much business they miss by Blue Dog not being open on Sunday for brunch. I've never understood it, but its carrying over to Red Hog. I guess they don't need the money . . .
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm

by Andrew A » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:13 pm

We will eventually be open Tuesday-Saturday. We are just short staffed on the restaurant side right now.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Anybody who has been to Red Hog also been to Butcher's Best? We've found that they were also a very nice butcher shop, again they have a relatively small selection but will cut anything you want to order. They certainly been our go to butcher shop up until now. We will certainly have to check out Red Hog.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Andrew A wrote:We will eventually be open Tuesday-Saturday. We are just short staffed on the restaurant side right now.

great news. You guys knocked it out of the park.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Andrew A wrote:We will eventually be open Tuesday-Saturday. We are just short staffed on the restaurant side right now.

Will the menu be expanding? We were really looking forward to a charcuterie board or grilled steak, but no such animals on the menu last Sat. The pizza and whole hog sandwich were quite good though.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Andrew A » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:37 pm

JustinHammond wrote:

Will the menu be expanding? We were really looking forward to a charcuterie board or grilled steak, but no such animals on the menu last Sat. The pizza and whole hog sandwich were quite good though.

I wouldn't say expand but it will be an ever changing chalkboard menu based on what we have in the butcher shop. I saw the menu for this week and a large portion is different than last week. Charcuterie board will happen but we sold out of all the salami and coppa in the first week we were open. It's a matter of ramping up production of items that take months to make. A chicken liver pate may make an appearance this week but don't hold me to that. I doubt you will will find things like a big steak on the menu very often. We've not even turned on our friers or our wood fire grill yet. There's plenty more to come.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Andrew A wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:

I wouldn't say expand but it will be an ever changing chalkboard menu based on what we have in the butcher shop. I saw the menu for this week and a large portion is different than last week. Charcuterie board will happen but we sold out of all the salami and coppa in the first week we were open. It's a matter of ramping up production of items that take months to make. A chicken liver pate may make an appearance this week but don't hold me to that. I doubt you will will find things like a big steak on the menu very often. We've not even turned on our friers or our wood fire grill yet. There's plenty more to come.

Who are you Andrew A? Robin's full name policy has went to shit. I'd like to say hi next time we're in.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:35 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Who are you Andrew A? Robin's full name policy has went to shit. I'd like to say hi next time we're in.

Just for the record, I'll accept first name, last initial because of privacy, although I like to know who people are. But let me stand up for Andrew on this: He ain't breakin no rule. :)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 am

Robin Garr wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:Who are you Andrew A? Robin's full name policy has went to shit. I'd like to say hi next time we're in.

Just for the record, I'll accept first name, last initial because of privacy, although I like to know who people are. But let me stand up for Andrew on this: He ain't breakin no rule. :)

I know, just having a little fun.
Last edited by JustinHammond on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:04 am

JustinHammond wrote:I know, just have a little fun.

Right, but setting the record straight for visitors and newbies. :)
no avatar
User

Andrew A

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Andrew A » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:24 pm

JustinHammond wrote:
Who are you Andrew A? Robin's full name policy has went to shit. I'd like to say hi next time we're in.

Andrew Armstrong. I'm one of the butchers and the pitmaster in charge of the bbq. I'd say come in and find the guy with the beard but everyone has a beard. I'm the biggest guy so that may help. I'm out of town in Austin this week but I'll pretty much be there every day next week going forward.