Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint - Westport Rd

by neal.johnson » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:54 pm

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:45 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Per reports, Martin's will be moving into Lynn's next year.

I think Cris Banaszynski gave us a hint about that a while back. :mrgreen: Read his one-liner, and then scroll up to see what he's declaring not true.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Went for lunch today. Had pulled pork sandwich with side of baked beans.

Hits: Food was delicious. Pork smokey and buttery smooth. Loved the way the bun was grilled. Excellent beans with small chunks of pork and green pepper and a tinge of a different flavoring (cumin, maybe?). Well beyond run-of-the-mill beans with sweet sauce.

Misses: (1) Stand in line ordering process was painfully slow. Apparently untrained order takers, not familiar with the equipment or their job. That will presumably rectify over time. (2) And the portions were tiny. Guessing maybe a 3 ounce meat serving. Beans were no more than maybe 2 or 2 1/2 tablespoonsful. Over 10 bucks for a sandwich, fountain soft drink and less than a handful of beans and no table service seemed a bit steep.

But the food sure was good.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Went for dinner tonite, 5.15. Place had long line starting just before 6.

Agree about awkward ordering, tho a Nashville guy was helping the new order taker.

For sides, baked beans were great, and they said it was brisket in the beans, not pork. Broccoli salad was wonderful, and had bacon among other ingredients. Green beans were nothing special.

Did seem to be smallish portions. Two of us had combo for 2-3, with 4 St Louis ribs (dry rub), 6 oz whole hog, and 6 oz brisket plus 3 sides. Q served on white bread and was cooked perfectly. Ribs incredibly tender without being "fall off the bone." Pulled whole hog good mix of tender and crunchy bits with good flavor. Brisket was juicy with right balance of fatty bits for top flavor and tenderness. I would have guessed 4 oz rather than 6, however. My wife and I finished all of the serving "for 2-3 people" without feeling overly full.

Ton of servers making round refilling drinks, bringing more sauce, clearing, etc.

If you go (and I recommend it) be sure to get a complimentary moon pie, in a basket near the plasticware!
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:
Misses: (1) Stand in line ordering process

That's a deal breaker for me...I MIGHT stand in line for lunch but NEVER for dinner...especially at the prices/serving sizes being quoted. I had really hoped this would be a notch up from what is being described, which sounds to me like just another run of the mill "eat it and beat it" BBQ joint. Meh, I'll make my own.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:46 am

Feast does the same thing, doesn't it? A line. No table service. We have seen it out the door, which may they encourage? Looks good? :-)

Our go to spot for bbq is on the way to Florida. MM 256. Birmingham. Nick & Jim's. Table service.

Haven't tried Red Barn yet. FABD was one of our go to spots, but usually let available parking decide whether we stopped or not - usually arrived at the wrong time.

Will have to try Mark's Feed Store again. That's been years. Middletown is the closest.

Decades ago, Pit Stop, across from Langtry's, was our go to. As they closed them, we even went downtown once or twice before they all closed.

Now, we wait for Momma's food truck to park at Commonwealth Tap. We'll have to return to St. Matthews, since their restaurant reopened.

Ellen
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:37 am

Ellen P wrote:Feast does the same thing, doesn't it? A line. No table service. We have seen it out the door, which may they encourage? Looks good? :-)

It's a thing. It's called "fast casual." Some people don't like it, I guess, and those people don't have to go there. Makes the line shorter for the rest of us. :mrgreen:
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:44 am

Ellen P wrote:Now, we wait for Momma's food truck to park at Commonwealth Tap. We'll have to return to St. Matthews, since their restaurant reopened.

Ellen

Their Hurstborne location might save you some drive time

http://mommasbbq.com/locations/
Hurstbourne
119 S Hurstborne Pkwy
Louisville, Ky 40222
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Ellen P wrote:Feast does the same thing, doesn't it? A line. No table service. We have seen it out the door, which may they encourage? Looks good? :-)

Yes but at least Feast is a local restaurant without all the seizure-inducing kitsch plastered all over the walls. Good grief.
Last edited by neal.johnson on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

It's a thing. It's called "fast casual." Some people don't like it, I guess, and those people don't have to go there. Makes the line shorter for the rest of us. :mrgreen:

I'm kind of with Steve on this but for different reasons. Standing in any line waiting for food with toddler in tow and an infant in arms is a real drag.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:38 pm

neal.johnson wrote: kitsch plastered all over the walls.

A huge stuffed bison head isn't kitschy enough? :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Carla G wrote:I'm kind of with Steve on this but for different reasons. Standing in any line waiting for food with toddler in tow and an infant in arms is a real drag.

Yeah, I get that. I'm not taking sides, just saying that it's a common format - mostly for chains, but as pointed out, Feast BBQ does it, so do Ville Taqueria, Con Huevos, Royals Hot Chicken, JoElla's, the did Taco Punk, and tons of chains like Qdoba, Moe's, Subway, every espresso bar in the world ...
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
neal.johnson wrote: kitsch plastered all over the walls.

A huge stuffed bison head isn't kitschy enough? :mrgreen:

I'll take a taxidermied bison head any day over....this.

User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:17 pm

anyone wearing 6 pieces of flair?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Suddenly I understand why they wanted to buy Lynn's.
PreviousNext