Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint - Westport Rd

by Steve P » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:55 pm

Speaking of Bar-B-Que (or however folks are spelling it this week). Martin's Bar-B-Que is opening behind/beside Aldi's on Westport Rd. http://www.martinsbbqjoint.com/
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint - Westport Rd

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Are they the restaurant is going into the building that was formerly the clubhouse for Indian Springs golf course?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am

Mark R. wrote:Are they the restaurant is going into the building that was formerly the clubhouse for Indian Springs golf course?

They are indeed. I believe Cris formerly of Atypical BBQ is going to be involved, so I'm looking forward to it.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:56 pm

It's a small chain - out of middle TN - that specializes in whole hog bbq. They get good reviews on all the sites - 4 stars out of 5 is typical and they've been featured on "Triple D"....
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:05 am

Ron H wrote:
Mark R. wrote:Are they the restaurant is going into the building that was formerly the clubhouse for Indian Springs golf course?

They are indeed. I believe Cris formerly of Atypical BBQ is going to be involved, so I'm looking forward to it.

That's a plus for me. I hated to see him close up shop.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:22 am

My dad lives in Nashville and raves about this place. I've never been, though.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

119 Saint Matthews Avenue

by CrisBanaszynski » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:14 am

We are looking to open by later this month but I'm not sure that will happen at this point. The site is formerly the Indian Springs country club and yes, I am involved, thank you Ron. I'll be giving updates on here and my Facebook as well as things progress but right now we are about 25%.
Never trust a skinny chef...or a fat vegan
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:55 pm

CrisBanaszynski wrote:We are looking to open by later this month but I'm not sure that will happen at this point. The site is formerly the Indian Springs country club and yes, I am involved, thank you Ron. I'll be giving updates on here and my Facebook as well as things progress but right now we are about 25%.

no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:17 am

I was in Nashville recently for their Music City F&W Festival, and Martin's hosts a huge open pit where they were smoking and grilling anything BBQ-able. I tried pork cheek (amazing), a perfect rib, and octopus (over the top). I know it wasn't all Martin's, as other chefs/cooks collaborated, drank beer together, and made beautiful food.

My test for "good BBQ", which I know is subjective, is great brisket. I think it's one of the hardest meats to get perfectly tender and flavorful. I've heard good things about Martin's brisket, so i'm hoping to be wow'd in the near future!

Side note: it seriously ticks me off that I have yet to smoke a brisket myself that would pass my standards. Grrrr.... one of these days.
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:27 pm

The Silver Dollar has an excellent brisket. (coming from someone who normally doesn't even *like* brisket!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:29 pm

We had the brisket once at Silver Dollar. $17 for maybe 3 slices. I don't think a side came with it. Nope. Won't do that again.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Looks like we will be open for business on November 15 at 11am, barring any more setbacks.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:01 pm

K, so per the previous post, the opening has been pushed back, potentially to November 17. Sorry guys, we are excited to serve you, however, these things happen.
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:13 am

Can't wait! :D
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:30 am

Well, yesterday was the friends-and-family preview of Martin's Bar-B-Que, and I have to report back that it's a winner.

Sitting right off of Westport Road near the Gene Snyder/71 interchange, it's back a bit from the street, but easily seen just the same. The building is large, open, and airy, with a ridiculous assortment of kitsch on the walls (I ate under the watchful eye of infamous NFL marketing machine Brian Bozworth, who once sold 'Boz sucks' tees to opposition fans). There's a beautiful open patio area behind the main dining room, and a visible smoking area so that when the food is prepared, the smell will be out and about for the world to smell. On good days, you should be able to smell it from Westport.

But this isn't a CJ review, and most people don't eat decorations.

So, let's start with the first thing I ate: sides. Sweet vinegar coleslaw was crisp and bright, though it might be too sweet for some. Barbecue beans were top notch, smoky and molasses-sweet with big chunks of meat inside. Top notch beans, some of my favorite in town already. Potato salad was pleasantly chunky and potato-y, not overpowered by the standard potato salad dressing. Solid.

Next, one of the things my late father always judged a barbecue place by: ribs. You've got options. Spare ribs or baby back, wet or dry. I had dry spare ribs first. There's a great rubbed crust, and the meat texture is smoky and firm, without being chewy. Moist on the inside and wonderfully spicy on the outside, they're probably my favorite thing that I got to try. The wet ribs are sweet and spicy, and you can taste the rub under the sauce, rather than just getting smacked in the face with sauce. The brisket was phenomenal, nice and charred on the outside, beautiful smoke ring, nice fat cap, and tender without being mushy. (I've been told by Nashville friends that the Brisket Burger is a must-eat when they open up officially)

The sauce: You've got multiple options, as you ought. The standard table sauce is Jack's Creek, a peppery vinegar sauce that's used on the pig parts on the smoker. It's a thin, traditional sauce. Sweet Dixie is more traditional "barbecue" sauce, sweet with a nice heat component. Alabama White is the mayo-based white sauce, but unlike most white sauces, it's not just mayo with some seasoning, it's the rare white sauce with actual heat to it, which was a pleasant surprise. Palmetto Gold is Carolina mustard sauce. Devil's Nectar is a honey hot sauce that's nicely balanced.

I tried the sauces on a selection of wings, which were solid wings. Not greasy, very meaty. The server-recommended combination of the day was the dry-rubbed wing with Alabama White sauce on the side for dipping. It also worked well as a sauce on the wing, but I think my go-to will be dry rub with sauces plural on the side for dunking and experimentation.

Last but not least, Martin's has the largest bologna sandwich I've ever seen. Inch-thick bologna smoked to a pleasant char on the outside, hot and juicy on the inside; I was able to take a small bite before I had to tap out, so consider that one not reviewed. However, the one bite I was able to eat was delicious if you're a cooked bologna fan (which I am, and which will probably be part of my lunch today).

Long story short, I don't see how this place can go wrong at this location. Lots of area traffic without any difficult access issues, quality menu, lots of options without being overwhelming, and food prepared fresh daily (when they're out, they're out, no microwaves or freezer trays). Thumbs up.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Next