Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

BBQ Beef ribs

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

BBQ Beef ribs

by Carla G » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 am

I've a hankering for them. We used to do limited amounts of them at Victoria Station once upon a time. Cannot find beef ribs anywhere. Anybody know of any restaurant serving them?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: BBQ Beef ribs

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:57 am

Red Barn Kitchen!

Cherry Wood Smoked Beef Back Ribs
Pick two sides.
Full Rack $40.00 - Half Rack $22.00
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:07 am

The beef ribs at Momma's are fantastic.

http://mommasbbq.com/menu/

Beef Ribs
Rated the 2nd Best Beef Ribs in the country by the book The Top 100 BBQ Restaurants in America!

Whole Order $32
Half $16
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:25 am

I really like the ones at Momma's, too.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:17 pm

I'll third the vote for Momma's. I love their beef ribs.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:59 pm

At least when I was there, Momma's beef ribs were short ribs (albeit with the bone left full length), NOT back ribs. They were decent, but if you miss Victoria Station these are not they. I was unhappy, as the waiter had assured us that they were back ribs.

Red Barn was quite good in terms of flavor, but the beef ribs were "fall off the bone tender" with a consistency that said either parboiling or possibly dialing in too high of a moisture level in a Southern Pride commercial smoker. They'll do in a pinch, but other menu items were better.

Smoketown's beef ribs were quite good and the real thing, but unfortunately they are no more.

If you find one, please let us know . . . I keep looking, but there is no joy in Lou-ville.
Andrew Mellman
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:At least when I was there, Momma's beef ribs were short ribs

Red Barn was quite good in terms of flavor, but the beef ribs were "fall off the bone tender"

The ribs I had at Momma's (Hurstbourne) seemed to be the same cut/style as Red Barn.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:58 pm

JustinHammond wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:At least when I was there, Momma's beef ribs were short ribs

Red Barn was quite good in terms of flavor, but the beef ribs were "fall off the bone tender"

The ribs I had at Momma's (Hurstbourne) seemed to be the same cut/style as Red Barn.

While the bones looked the same, the beef back ribs are cut off of a standing prime rib and can be simply broiled/grilled (although slow bbq improves them greatly), while the short ribs are a cut that requires long slow cooking (braising, bbq, other) to become tender. It's the difference between a steak and stew meat - both great, but very different, and when one is anticipating one getting the other can be disconcerting at best. Victoria Station served back ribs, if you were lucky cut off their prime ribs in-house, and if you weren't lucky bought separately to supplement the in-house cuts. I was anticipating the Victoria Station back ribs, so I was quite unhappy with Momma's.

All restaurants evolve, so it's very possible that now both do serve the same cut; all I know is that when I went to each, one was short ribs and one was back ribs (although they do look similar!).
Andrew Mellman
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:

While the bones looked the same, the beef back ribs are cut off of a standing prime rib and can be simply broiled/grilled (although slow bbq improves them greatly), while the short ribs are a cut that requires long slow cooking (braising, bbq, other) to become tender. It's the difference between a steak and stew meat - both great, but very different, and when one is anticipating one getting the other can be disconcerting at best. Victoria Station served back ribs, if you were lucky cut off their prime ribs in-house, and if you weren't lucky bought separately to supplement the in-house cuts. I was anticipating the Victoria Station back ribs, so I was quite unhappy with Momma's.

All restaurants evolve, so it's very possible that now both do serve the same cut; all I know is that when I went to each, one was short ribs and one was back ribs (although they do look similar!).

Yup, we cut them off the PR and I don't honestly remember them ordering Extra to supplement the amount we had. Maybe they did in the later years. We advertised them as limited and they really were.
No back ribs? I am deeeee-pressed. I might give Mommas a try anyway.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson