Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Lindsey gives M&BB 2.5' I give her 4. Good start.

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:30 pm

In her first review outing, Lindsey Stewart McClave​ gives Mussel and Burger Bar 2 Downtown. a little constructive criticism and 2.5 stars. I like her style ... it's clean, direct and sensible. A breath of fresh air.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /90806048/
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Re: Lindsey gives M&BB 2.5' I give her 4. Good start.

by Tony G » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Good read. We failed to see what the big deal was when the wife and I visited the downtown location recently. My burger was very dry. Our bill was $60 for a mediocre meal. Money is short these days. We LOVE Guacamole a mole tho. Gotta be wise with the limited dollars these days.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I like her style ... it's clean, direct and sensible.

Agreed -- I think it's a promising debut, should keep me coming back.

I can't agree/dis, though, as I've not been to either M&BB.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:21 am

I've been to the Taylorsville Rd location many times and never disappointed. Never tried the DT local but would in the future if I was in the area. I thought her review was executed well and quite diplomatic. I will happily read her reviews if this one is any indication of what's to come.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 am

She nailed it. Well written. No weirdly structured sentences, no mixed metaphors. Good descriptive paragraphs fairly describing the good, and the not so good, in an objective and constructive manner.

But, most importantly the stars match the review!! She's not afraid to dip below 3 stars!! And, that's not saying that this place is a BAD restaurant. Her review clearly sets forth that it is NOT bad, but it just has a few weak spots that need to be addressed. Exactly what a 2.5 star rating would indicate.

Well done.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:02 am

I completely agree with her review of the Southern Bell burger. I've order this burger at the downtown location as well and it tasted just like she described. Bland. No flavor at all from the pimento cheese. Just, meh. The Korean wings are a complete ripoff, however. $10 for a couple of puny wings. No thanks.
Last edited by neal.johnson on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:11 am

Much better review style than her predecessor. I also appreciate that she writes like she's been doing this all along and not "hey, look, I'm new!"

As for the review, it's sad to hear that the downtown location failed to execute on 50% of the restaurant's name. If burger is in your name, you better knock it out every time in that department. I could see if the adorable mini-tacos were less than top marks, but to have the burgers fall short definitely justifies the 2.5 star review.

Thankfully, we have had nothing but top shelf experiences at the east end location!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:33 pm

My problem at both locations has been the mussels. Both times they were huge but not at all fresh. I mean stinky, fishy and overpowering. Instead of the salty taste of the ocean they've had a rank, fishy smell and taste. I would have sent them back except on both occasions at both locations, the server didn't check back. So my table mates finished their meals and I ate the bread dipped in the broth that was pretty good.

Want to try a third time but I've been leary. Anyone else had a similar experience?
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Hopefully Ole isn't resting on their laurels.
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:12 pm

I have not yet tried this restaurant but this was a well written review. She writes clearly and well and her grading actually seemed to correspond with her commentary. A nice change from what we had before.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:47 am

Hallmark of a good review for me is that when I get to the end of it, I don't bother to look at the stars/rating. This met that standard, for me. I'd be curious to see a review for Grind beside this.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:30 am

So I've been saying this for a while now. Ole has jumped the shark, or stretched themselves too thin, or something.

Guaca Mole used to be my favorite restaurant in town. My last two visits were so underwhelming I haven't been back in months. M&BB was amazing when it opened. It's not now. Either location. Artesano was good when it opened, not anymore. My last visit was just not good at all. Red Barn is Okish? Not the best at anything it does. I felt no need to return. Better Q and fried chicken can be had at many places. Mercato is hit and miss. I've given them three tries, I'm done trying (And please stop saying they have good pizza. No... they don't.)

I personally feel people who still rave about their restaurants are living on past glory. Several of them were once great. The best in town even. None of them are currently great. Some aren't even very good. We have too many REALLY good options in this town for me to spend my money on an "ok" meal.

They did too much. Too quickly. Too many different things going on. Quality is not what it once was. Sad to see.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:03 am

I didn't realize Artesano had slipped, Chris. I really hate to hear that, as it was one of the best in town the three or four times I went. I did feel that Mercato was a step down from Artesano, and Red Barn Kitchen down a step from there, although I thought maybe the decision there was not to change Joe's too much other than to clean it up a little. Your point about expansion wearing an operation thin is certainly a fair one, though. I think we're seeing it a little with Basa to Doc Crow's to the failure of Doc's Cantina. Or maybe Boombozz to Joella's?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:25 am

Robin Garr wrote:I didn't realize Artesano had slipped

It hasn't, we eat there 3-4 times a month, just went Monday. Everything was fantastic.
Last edited by JustinHammond on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Her next one has been posted. A few more flourishes, but still written well for a place that (imo) deserves the attention.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /91317662/
Next