Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Famous Dave's

User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Sad to say, but Famous Daves is easily the best BBQ in town. They put out a consistently tasty product, with a decent amount of smoke flavor, and, unlike almost all the bbq joints in town, pay attention to the quality of their side items as well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:Sad to say, but Famous Daves is easily the best BBQ in town. They put out a consistently tasty product, with a decent amount of smoke flavor, and, unlike almost all the bbq joints in town, pay attention to the quality of their side items as well.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Jucy's, FABD, Bourbon Bros., Smoketown USA, Rite-Way or Finley's in the West End or Ken-Tex in Shelbyville? I'd say all of them meet the "good 'cue" criteria.

I agree that Famous Dave's exceeds expectations for a national chain, but "easily the best BBQ in town"? I couldn't personally sign on to that.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:33 pm

i'll go with Robin on this one - Juicys

i haven't been to the KY Q company yet,

as far as chains/multiple stores
i love Mark's
consistently good product and good service at the location in Clarksville (next door to the KEG, good beer and BBQ in one stop)

shawn

besides, i know some ex-staff from Dave's with horror stories
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:You MUST try the Salmon Spread at Dave's! Damn, I could make a meal out of that stuff. Cream cheese with salmon and a little heat (not too much) served with grilled flatbread that warm and perfectly seasoned.

Oh, yummmm!

We used to love it, but a few months ago the corporate office changed the recipe, and since then it has gotten way too hot to enjoy. And I can take a decent amount of heat.

And I would never, eeeeeeever, go back to Mark's Feed Store. Thanks to them, I lost a tooth, and their insurance company gave such a run around that they never paid my dentist, making it so I keep getting reminder letters to pay from my dentist, which I can't pay for. We used to go there weekly, and I loved their Burgoo.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Clay Cundiff wrote:Sad to say, but Famous Daves is easily the best BBQ in town. They put out a consistently tasty product, with a decent amount of smoke flavor, and, unlike almost all the bbq joints in town, pay attention to the quality of their side items as well.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Jucy's, FABD, Bourbon Bros., Smoketown USA, Rite-Way or Finley's in the West End or Ken-Tex in Shelbyville? I'd say all of them meet the "good 'cue" criteria.

I agree that Famous Dave's exceeds expectations for a national chain, but "easily the best BBQ in town"? I couldn't personally sign on to that.

I LOVE Jucy's. The food is fantastic, and very inexpensive, to boot. Plus that apple dessert...simply to DIE for.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

Resmoking the sausage

by Sally M » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:26 pm

I think they are just including an FYI sentence on how to resmoke beans. The recipe calls for re-smoked beans, so the beans are presumed to be resmoked before you add 'em to the pot.
User

Sally M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:45 pm

Oops!

by Sally M » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm talking re-smoked sausage rather than beans! Same logic.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:50 pm

We have someone in our extended family that is VERY allergic to MSG. She called Famous Dave's to check into what she could eat there that was ok.

They told her nothing. Absolutely nothing aside from their lettuce was MSG-free.

I love Ken-Tex. I've got to get back there.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Smoketown USA is amazing. Jucy's good as well.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:04 pm

Now I want Jucy's. Badly.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Famous Dave's

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

To that list, I'd add Bootleg BBQ. Loves me mutton.

Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Famous Dave's

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:24 pm

Doogy R wrote:To that list, I'd add Bootleg BBQ. Loves me mutton.

Yep, can't disagree! Ole Hickory Pit on Old Shep also has Western Kentucky roots and decent mutton. Those are the only two places in town I know of that has it.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:39 pm

How is Bootleg, aside from the mutton? I'm not a fan of mutton.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Bootleg BBQ

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Michelle R. wrote:How is Bootleg, aside from the mutton? I'm not a fan of mutton.

They rock ass. Does that help? :D

Seriously, they have excellent que. I believe they have 7 meats (pulled pork, beef brisket, turkey, ribs and rib tips, ham, chicken and mutton), a variety of homemade sides and desserts and the sauce comes on the side. My fave location is the little shack out off Bardstown Road past Glenmary on the way to Mt Washington. They do have location on Preston and in Shephersdville, but I love the shack.

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.bootlegbbq.net/
Last edited by Doogy R on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Kudos to Jucy's. We don't do barbeque much any more with vegetarians in the household....but a couple of times a year this is where we go to get our "fix". Good ribs, pork, beef, and sides.

Famous Dave's is good as well and certainly better than one would expect from a chain.

As a kid we adored the Hickory House at Taylorsville & Bardstown Road....sweet memories!
PreviousNext