Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Just wondering ...

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Just wondering ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:03 am

If a restaurant visibly shifts into overdrive when they think there’s a critic in the house, I wonder if they’re giving 100% the rest of the time.
no avatar
User

travis.davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: Just wondering ...

by travis.davis » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:32 am

Shower Thoughts by Robin Garr

Love it!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:02 pm

I take it for granted that nobody gives 100% all the time. It's literally impossible. What sets the good apart from the bad is whether the ordinary, day-in, day-out effort is more like 85-90% or 40-50% (or worse).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I take it for granted that nobody gives 100% all the time. It's literally impossible. What sets the good apart from the bad is whether the ordinary, day-in, day-out effort is more like 85-90% or 40-50% (or worse).

Can't disagree. Maybe I should put it this way: If they put out 110% for a critic, and 80% for everyone else, is a review based on that special treatment valid? In the real world, I try to deal by looking past the fluffing and focus more on things that can't be easily tweaked. Also, is my portion twice as big as those at nearby tables? :mrgreen: )
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm

travis.davis wrote:Shower Thoughts by Robin Garr

Love it!

User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Highlands

by Eve Lee » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:12 pm

This old Ruth Reichl piece came to mind: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/29/arts/ ... wanted=all

[T]here are a lot of restaurants where I am still not recognized. In most places I am just another person who has reserved weeks in advance, and I still have to wait as more important people are waltzed into the dining room. I watch longingly as they are presented with the chef's special dishes, and then I turn and order from the menu just like everybody else. ... Over the course of five months I ate five meals at the restaurant; it was not until the fourth that the owner ... figured out who I was. When I was discovered, the change was startling. Everything improved: the seating, the service, the size of the portions. We had already reached dessert, but our little plate of petit fours was whisked away to be replaced by a larger, more ostentatious one. An avalanche of sweets descended upon the table, and I was fascinated to note that the raspberries on the new desserts were three times the size of those on the old ones.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Eve Lee wrote:This old Ruth Reichl piece came to mind ...

I've seen stuff like that. Once a "free dessert" that was actually four desserts. I bagged the review, somewhat regretfully because I didn't get paid, but it was just too over the top.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I take it for granted that nobody gives 100% all the time. It's literally impossible. What sets the good apart from the bad is whether the ordinary, day-in, day-out effort is more like 85-90% or 40-50% (or worse).

Can't disagree. Maybe I should put it this way: If they put out 110% for a critic, and 80% for everyone else, is a review based on that special treatment valid? In the real world, I try to deal by looking past the fluffing and focus more on things that can't be easily tweaked. Also, is my portion twice as big as those at nearby tables? :mrgreen: )

It's all part of the game, right? Their job is to snooker you, yours is not to be snookered. It sounds like (and I've always thought) you do a good job of trying hard to see through restaurants' attempts at presenting you with an out-of-the-ordinary experience.

Maybe snooker is a bad way to say it. I'm not dissing restaurants for trying to make a good impression. It's only natural to add a little extra spit and polish when the General is coming for inspection.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:21 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It's only natural to add a little extra spit and polish when the General is coming for inspection.

:lol: