Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Papalino's Springhurst

no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

Papalino's Springhurst

by Melissa S » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:17 am

I walked by Papalino's yesterday in Springhurst and noticed this sign.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.03 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Papalino's Springhurst

by Mark R. » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:12 am

It doesn't really surprise me. After the original one on Bardstown Road closed I thought it was only a matter of time before this 1 closed. The pizzas there were never as good as the ones at the original and at least a times we were there or went by there there were never many people.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:36 pm

The one time I had it (from the original location) it was solidly good pie, but the quality couldn't justify the price when comparably good pizzas were many dollars cheaper.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

travis.davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:44 pm

by travis.davis » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Just really sad all around. I'm still baffled why they closed the Baxter location. It was constantly packed and did incredible amounts of business in late late night hours.

I remember reading they stopped because of the restaurant not fitting the new owner's model? They wanted something similar to the Springhurst Pizza pub style.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:31 am

travis.davis wrote:Just really sad all around. I'm still baffled why they closed the Baxter location. It was constantly packed and did incredible amounts of business in late late night hours.

Quality of the pie went waaaayyyy downhill towards the end. I think when the UofL location failed, the owners started cutting costs to recoup their losses and QC went out the window.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
travis.davis wrote:Just really sad all around. I'm still baffled why they closed the Baxter location. It was constantly packed and did incredible amounts of business in late late night hours.

Quality of the pie went waaaayyyy downhill towards the end. I think when the UofL location failed, the owners started cutting costs to recoup their losses and QC went out the window.

The last several times I went to the Baxter location it was just kids running the place who seemed to have very little clue as to how to do it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:03 am

Mike Hardin wrote:The last several times I went to the Baxter location it was just kids running the place who seemed to have very little clue as to how to do it.

This, and I'd say it was the last year at the Baxter location. It was very disappointing, too, because when Alan started the place, Papalino's and Coals were both killing it, and it was like a golden age of pizza. At least Coal's is still good. I've got a sizzling piece of leftover pie coming out of the toaster oven right now. :mrgreen: