Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Cathy Bowman

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Need upscale restaurant near Marriott

by Cathy Bowman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:00 pm

We are from Lexington and my daughter has just planned a spur of the moment wedding in Louisville. We are staying at the Marriott and would like a nice upscale restaurant within walking distance of the Marriott Convention Center area. We will have a group of 15. The Blu at the Marriott is a tad pricey. Any recommendations?
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Primo should hit the spot....check them out
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Need upscale restaurant near Marriott

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:09 pm

Cathy Bowman wrote:We are from Lexington and my daughter has just planned a spur of the moment wedding in Louisville. We are staying at the Marriott and would like a nice upscale restaurant within walking distance of the Marriott Convention Center area. We will have a group of 15. The Blu at the Marriott is a tad pricey. Any recommendations?

Primo is excellent, as Jeremy said, and it's only a few blocks away. Saffron's is even closer, which might make a difference if the weather is rough.

Be aware also, that any "nice upscale" restaurant, including Primo and Saffron's, is going to cost a few bucks. I haven't looked at BLU's menu lately, but I don't recall the menu as being up in the stratosphere.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Congratulations! (I think :wink: , puts alot of pressure on you)

Saffron's private room would be perfect for your group if the idea of "different" food appeals. We held my Dad's birthday party there last year and as always, the food was great and the service is excellent. Not as "fancy" as Primo though. I love the private room for mingling, etc..which would also be great if not everyone is aquainted.

Deb
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:09 pm

for some reason, i thought that BLU had undergone recent improvement . . . was it as new chef or new management?
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:21 pm

BLU is definitely better now than in its original iteration.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Bistro 301 on Market is affordable and has great food.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

April Adams

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:22 am

Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding

by April Adams » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:29 pm

Dear Ms. Bowman, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is April Adams & I am the General Manager of Blu. I noticed that you will be staying at the Marriott Downtown Louisville during your upcoming trip in celebration of your daughter's wedding. I am not sure if you have had an opportunity to see the menu at Blu yet, but I think that we would definately be a memorable & viable option for your group. We are priced so that we are able to accomodate a wide variety of price ranges as we frequently have a very diverse group of conventions & travellers with the same diversity of budgets. We have also introduced a new chef who has truly elevated the quality & preparation of the cuisine. I am also new to Blu and have been working on our restaurant concept for a relaunch that will be held at the end of March. I would love to speak with you further about any questions that you may have. Also, we have one of THE most beautiful private dining rooms in the city. It is situated in our wine vault and has a wonderful fireplace & hearth inside. I would be happy to see if it is available for the date of your celebration. I will hope to hear from you in the future & can be contacted at either 502-457-3684 or 502-671-4285. Sincerely, April Adams
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:38 pm

So what's the new Blu going to be like?
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Blu

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:00 pm

April, check your mailbox.

Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:27 pm

More thoughts:
While I like Bistro 301, I wouldn't really consider it upscale as was requested, particularly for a special occasion like a wedding. Saffron, while not usually on my "upscale" list, would/could be for the private room experience, and it would be less expensive than truly upscale.

BLU looks lovely, but I haven't been. Primo, while great, would be a decent walk on bad sidewalks in potentially bad weather, so I'd be a little nervous about planning on that.

Are you open to taking the Trolley? It could be fun for your group and would open up a whole slew of options: Melillos, Artemisia and Proof all come to mind and are right on the route. Here's the Trolley website:
http://www.ridetarc.org/trolleys.asp

Deb
no avatar
User

Solomon Gayman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 am

highlands

by Solomon Gayman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:33 am

God,is the new white castle coming not trendy enough? :)[/code]
no avatar
User

Will Gaines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 am

Louisville

by Will Gaines » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:37 am

Jeff Ruby's is great and is only about a 4 block hike, however it is also a bit pricey. Primo is good as others have mentioned, and don't forget about Vincenzo's, which has been high on my list for quality and service over the years.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 am

April Adams wrote:Dear Ms. Bowman, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is April Adams & I am the General Manager of Blu. I noticed that you will be staying at the Marriott Downtown Louisville during your upcoming trip in celebration of your daughter's wedding. I am not sure if you have had an opportunity to see the menu at Blu yet, but I think that we would definately be a memorable & viable option for your group. We are priced so that we are able to accomodate a wide variety of price ranges as we frequently have a very diverse group of conventions & travellers with the same diversity of budgets. We have also introduced a new chef who has truly elevated the quality & preparation of the cuisine. I am also new to Blu and have been working on our restaurant concept for a relaunch that will be held at the end of March. I would love to speak with you further about any questions that you may have. Also, we have one of THE most beautiful private dining rooms in the city. It is situated in our wine vault and has a wonderful fireplace & hearth inside. I would be happy to see if it is available for the date of your celebration. I will hope to hear from you in the future & can be contacted at either 502-457-3684 or 502-671-4285. Sincerely, April Adams

This is what I was thinking about.

April: Would you please post more about this relaunch? I'd love some details straight from the horse's mouth instead of a polished P.R. piece from the corporate office. e.g. who is the new chef?