Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

BrianW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Behind Enemy Lines in the 9th District

El Rey - recommendations please

by BrianW » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi,

Headed to El Rey Tuesday evening with the misses, to a dinner her boss is having at his favorite place. Was looking for some direction here from those familiar with the menu since I can't seem to find a online version. I'm a fan of serious heat (habaneros are a fav), so if you know a winner would you let me know.

TIA,
Brian
Liberalism is a 'no brainer'.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: El Rey - recommendations please

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:03 pm

BrianW wrote:Headed to El Rey Tuesday evening with the misses, to a dinner her boss is having at his favorite place. Was looking for some direction here from those familiar with the menu since I can't seem to find a online version. I'm a fan of serious heat (habaneros are a fav), so if you know a winner would you let me know.

Brian, it's decent enough, but my recollection (I haven't been for a while) is that the menu is pretty much indistinguishable from the Los Aztecas, El Nopal, El Tarasco, Sol Aztecas style - a broad mix of Mexican favorites done in a bilingual setting that's much more authentic than Tumbleweed but designed to be friendly to Anglos.
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Rey put together the original menu at the old Chico's. He cooked and managed there for decades. You will find the food identical to Chico's.
Good homemade salsa.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Robert Carnighan wrote:Rey put together the original menu at the old Chico's. He cooked and managed there for decades. You will find the food identical to Chico's.

Really! Thanks for the tip, Robert. The times I've been to El Rey I didn't think about Chico's or make the connection from the menu, but if they have the original Chico's <i>carne asada</i> and <i>chile verde</i>, I'd go some distance to get that.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:20 pm

I love El Rey's! I think they do the "classics" much, much better than most "mexican" places around here.....

I love their guacamole!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)