Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Indian food - Shalimar

User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Indian food - Shalimar

by JustinHammond » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:39 am

I'm a bit of an Indian food novice. I've been to Bombay Grill a few times and always ordered the non vegetarian thali. I'm going to Shalimar on Sat. and was wondering what are some must try Indian dishes or must try Shalimar dishes.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Indian food - Shalimar

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:58 am

You might hit up DakShin sometime for a real experience. Shalimar is okay, though. I'd say if you're learning Indian food, getting a thali platter is a great idea because it allows you to try a variety of dishes and learn a little more about the cuisine as well as getting a sense of what you like.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:56 am

Skip Shalimar and head to Kashmir or DakShin. Shalimar is overpriced, dark, and just kind of "meh". Grab a seat outside at Kashmir and grab some garlic nan and the chicken vindaloo with a nice IPA. Bliss.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:05 am

Virtually every Indian restaurant in Louisville has a very reasonable lunchtime buffet. If you are new to Indian food, I'd go to several of those (none are bad, and most are quite good).

After you've hit 2 or 3 buffets, you'll have a working knowledge of some basic Indian dishes (you will find that some traditional dishes are on every buffet, with different restaurants adding in their specialties), an idea as to which places you like best, and all for not that much cash!

(plus, most have "frequent diner" cards)

Dak Shin (which Robin recommended) has separate menu sections for each region of India, which are quite different using different ingredients, seasoning, levels of heat, et al. Think of Southern Cooking in the US versus New England and Pacific Northwest versus Cajun from New Orleans - very different, but all loosely called "American." Indian food can have similar differences, and most Indian restaurants in Louisville reflect the home cooking of each's regional cuisine resulting in the same dish tasting very different in different restaurants. Previewing in the buffet would allow you to decide which one best reflects your likes..
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:06 pm

We like the korma and also the shrimp tandoori at Shalimar. Their chai tea is delicious as well. Service is always good and the restaurant is clean and inviting.
no avatar
User

stacey.borah

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:48 pm

by stacey.borah » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:01 pm

I like Shalimar! And Dak Shin, and Shandaar, and Clay Oven, and....pretty much all Indian food.

Definitely go for the lunch buffet, if you're new to the cuisine. Lots of dishes to choose from, and the price is competitive (like $9, I believe?) Shalimar has had some ups and downs throughout the years (I've been going there for at least 13 years now) but they've been on it lately, IMO.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:52 pm

http://www.india-day.com/

http://louisvillewaterfront.com/plan-yo ... -vindalou/

India Day is a full day event that presents an unparalleled opportunity to experience all things Indian, including food, merchandise, art, culture, and traditions. The event includes cultural programs, live performances from young and professional dancers with vibrant costumes and dynamic classical and Bollywood music. Yoga-dive into the wisdom of inspiring trainers and learn yoga. Indian delights – tantalize your taste buds with culinary Indian delights from Shalimar, Bombay Grill, and more.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Shalimar lost its shine for us a long time ago. We do occasionally visit the Patel Brothers grocery next door.

Bombay Grill (216 N Hurstbourne Pkwy) remains one of our go-to Indian places, as does Clay Oven.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:51 pm

JustinHammond wrote:http://www.india-day.com/

http://louisvillewaterfront.com/plan-yo ... -vindalou/

India Day is a full day event that presents an unparalleled opportunity to experience all things Indian, including food, merchandise, art, culture, and traditions. The event includes cultural programs, live performances from young and professional dancers with vibrant costumes and dynamic classical and Bollywood music. Yoga-dive into the wisdom of inspiring trainers and learn yoga. Indian delights – tantalize your taste buds with culinary Indian delights from Shalimar, Bombay Grill, and more.

Wait! That's TOMORROW! How in the heck did that creep up on us? I'm going to post it in a separate thread.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:09 am

Ditto for the kudos for Clay Oven. They have some pretty terrific duck vindaloo.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:24 pm

I really like Dakshin, but I'll have to admit it can be pretty hit or miss with the buffet as far as having it stocked. My wife is completely turned off by the place anymore so if I were to go it would have to be alone. Plus, there's some sort of connection between Dakshin and Cafe 360, which is probably the only place in town to which we've both sworn never to return.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:48 pm

I love Dak Shin but we have been going to Bombay Grill more lately out of convenience plus I like the lighting better at Bombay Grill, the service can't be beat at either place. We haven't been to Shalimar in years due to bad service/awkwardness with my large son,who has since passed away. My thing you can mistreat me don't mistreat my kid even if he is in his 20's. :(
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

by looi » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Like foods from any huge country, Indian cuisine has its regional styles, as in Chinese cuisine. Shalimar offers Punjabi regional food while Dakshin offers more of the southern and Chindian food. In general, Indian cuisine has the most complex and labor intense preparations.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:45 pm

looi wrote:Like foods from any huge country, Indian cuisine has its regional styles, as in Chinese cuisine. Shalimar offers Punjabi regional food while Dakshin offers more of the southern and Chindian food. In general, Indian cuisine has the most complex and labor intense preparations.

Great point, Looi! And you're right about Shalimar and Punjabi/Northern, for sure. But even though the Dakshin guys are from Chennai, don't they try to showcase all of the cuisines of India? (Or the major ones, anyway?)