Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: We try not to go all snob on Guy Fieri’s Smokehouse

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:48 pm

I will sometimes look up the places his show has visited when I'm traveling and looking for something local and interesting. Sometimes they turn out to be good, sometimes not so much.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:10 pm

JustinHammond wrote:https://www.minnpost.com/twin-cities-business/2015/06/diners-drive-ins-and-dives-effect

Thanks for that, Justin. I read it with fascination and used some of the info in a LEO podcast this afternoon.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:12 am

I don't seek out his show but if I'm flipping through and see it I'll watch it. (Shrugs) He's better than OK. I think we like different aspects of food and dining but he he seems to be a nice guy that does well to others. I have no problems with him.

Now, if you want to talk about some of the LOCAL talent doing food coverage that's different. At least every time I've seen Fieri's telecast he's sober.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:25 pm

I enjoy his show on Sunday mornings. The name escapes me, but he is generally cooking in an outdoor kitchen. Sometimes he is cooking with other chefs and sometimes with his sons.

His personality on Triple D does not bug me, but he is more toned down during this show.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:06 pm

James Natsis wrote:This was an awkward 2-part piece on Fieri's restaurant. Michael Powell's 29 paragraph opus on "much ado about nothing" lost me at about paragraph 5.

Agreed -- finally read it, it was a let-down. Thought the idea had a lot of promise, but it fizzled quickly.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:47 am

SilvioM wrote:
James Natsis wrote:This was an awkward 2-part piece on Fieri's restaurant. Michael Powell's 29 paragraph opus on "much ado about nothing" lost me at about paragraph 5.

Agreed -- finally read it, it was a let-down. Thought the idea had a lot of promise, but it fizzled quickly.

I can't really comment, other than to say I was truthful in the intro to my part: I got a call from the editor and said, "WTF?" :oops:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:11 am

Been hitting chain bbq places lately (gave City BBQ a B+ for Q, bucked the crowd and gave Martin's an "A" for food, "D" for seating, "B" for ordering), had to be downtown for the theater (saw Alan Cumming at Brown Theater), and decided to try Guy Fieri's Smokehouse.

Not a bad choice! Not worth a special trip, but if you're there it's an acceptable option!

We had:

- Pig wings . . . $12.95 . . . rib tips (a half dozen huge pieces) smoked, flash fried, sauced, and covered with pork rind crumbs for crunch . . . tender (not quite "fall off the bone", but tender) with a slight outer crunch due to the rind and fry . . . I'd get this again! It was a good portion for one for dinner, and came with two sauces and a small portion of raw veges . . . I also ordered the roasted corn, which surprised me by being off the cob . . . tender, tasty, obviously roasted, but kernels in a smallish ramekin.

- Brisket platter . . . $17.95 . . . good sized portion, maybe a tad overpriced but not by much and not objectionably so . . . perfect slices, no crumbs, FAT FREE! . . . now, the lack of fat unfortunately - while healthier - meant that the meat was a tad dry (had to add the side sauce), but it was still flavorful and tender . . . came with slaw, which we couldn't eat (very slight amount of vinegar based sauce, again dry) . . . had sprouts instead of smashed potatoes, and they were tender, tasty, and delicious . . . might get this again also, but would know to be sure to have extra sauce just in case and would try to sub out the slaw.

I had the brisket at all three places, and rate them Martin's first (might be a tad fatty for some, but overall taste was best), and Guy's and City different styles (City thinner slices, less "steaky") but equivalent in rating. The ribs/pig wings were very different, and I liked both.

Presentation of some items was very unusual. A person at the table on one side of us had a soup/stew with smoked meat in it, which next time I will definitely order as it was chocked full of stuff and looked spectacular. A table on the other side of us had nachos, which were fried into a long cylinder, placed on the plate vertically, and then filled with meat, cheese, sour cream, et al - the people eating it scarfed it down to the last crumb!

I think I like Gordon Biersch best of the chains on 4th, but would put Guys a strong second if I were there. It's not worth a separate trip, but a good option if one were downtown.

BTW, they have a good happy hour. My Evan Williams Single Barrel was $5, plus $2 for having it on the rocks. At most other similar places, that would have been closer to $8-9.
Andrew Mellman
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:

BTW, they have a good happy hour. My Evan Williams Single Barrel was $5, plus $2 for having it on the rocks. At most other similar places, that would have been closer to $8-9.

Seriously?! Is this a thing now to charge extra for on the rocks singles or was the bartender 's palate offended because you ordered ice? I guess I've been away from a bar longer than I thought.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Sorry. I can't support anything 4th Street Lies. The racism, the Cordish group, the global chains. You can have it.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:21 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:45 am

Carla G wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:

Seriously?! Is this a thing now to charge extra for on the rocks singles or was the bartender 's palate offended because you ordered ice? I guess I've been away from a bar longer than I thought.

Stupid and a version of "bait and switch", but yes, very common. As a 'straight up' or 'rocks' drinker I've finally given up protesting. They claim you must make a heavier pour with no mixer, and at least Fieri's did ( some charge more and I can't see a difference)
Andrew Mellman
Previous