Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We try not to go all snob on Guy Fieri’s Smokehouse

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:09 pm

We try not to go all snob on Guy Fieri’s Smokehouse

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

The American Royal ribs at Fieri’s Smokehouse.

Guy Fieri has brought his brand to town, and local foodies are all atwitter. The jokes just write themselves, and you can find them all over social media.

I’ve been trying to stay above the fray by ignoring it. I sent regrets on an invitation to a public relations extravaganza at the new Guy Fieri’s Smokehouse in Fourth Street Live. Apparently, if my colleague Michael Powell is to be believed, that soiree attracted a deplorable pack of food writers and bloggers with noses uniformly raised and pinkies delicately extended. I don’t go to those things, no matter if it’s Fieri or Bourdain or, in his prime, Ferran Adria from the late, lamented El Bulli. Well, okay, for Adria maybe I’d go. But not Fieri.

Does this make me a snob?

I like to think of myself as particular rather than snobbish. I like authenticity and I like honesty, in my chefs and in my celebrities. I have little tolerance for the fake. Am I saying Fieri is a fake? Well … his resume is legit, running from a childhood lemonade stand to French culinary training, a hospitality management degree from UNLV, and a whole stable of restaurants and television shows that have boosted his net worth to $8.5 million , according to the all-knowing Internet. (gonetworth.com/guy-fieri-net-worth)

But there’s something that just doesn’t quite fit about an $8 million guy from Sonoma County who wears a blue-collar persona while affecting spiky bleached hair and Mephistophelian goatee that would probably get him beaten up by the guys drinking beer behind the Sunoco Station in Santa Rosa.

His style screams “Look at MEEEEEE” in the vernacular of the classic narcissist, and his approach to food strikes many of us as a deplorable dumbing down of a growing American gastronomy that has lifted our national culinary scene since the 1980s - perhaps not coincidentally the age in which the laudatory term “foodie” was born. Perhaps not all the blame goes to Fieri, but he is one of the most visible faces of Food Network, an institution that has visibly dumbed down over two decades, devolving from Sara Moulton and Ming Tsai (and yes, the original Japanese Iron Chef) down past Emeril and Flay. Rachael Ray and, eventually, Fieri and a squadron of pretty faces whose names we don’t remember very long.

Now, to his credit, when I watch Fieri’s D, D & D, I can look past the flamboyant buffoonery and applaud the needed attention that he gives to America’s fascinating family diners, drive-ins and dives in an age that more inclined to celebrate high-end, chef-driven temples of foodiness. But still, I just can’t seem to get past the sense that, like his compatriot and possibly role model Bobby Flay, he’s having us on.

I’m also selectively snobby about corporate restaurant chains run by bean-counters; for what it’s worth, Guy’s chain seems to be adding a lot of beans. According to his own webpage, guyfieri.com, he’s running about 50 units across seven Fieri-labeled concepts, counting Louisville’s Smokehouse, which is said to be the first in a series, with another coming to Norfolk, Virginia, soon. Guy’s Burger Joint alone has almost 30 properties, most located in music and show venues; nine of them feed the hungry masses on Carnival cruise liners.

In short, while Guy did turn up in town the other night to wow the bloggers and VIPS, I think it’s safe to say that you won’t see his spiky hair bouncing around in the Louisville shop’s open kitchen very often. I’m sure he’ll be in at Derby time, perhaps singing a few verses of Les Miserables’ catchy hit, “Master of the House.” But I figure the over-under on his being in the house the rest of the year is pretty close to zero.

So I guess it goes without saying that when my editor called on Saturday to say, “I want you to go review Fieri’s Smokehouse and I want it right now,” I was all “WTF?”

But I got over it quickly enough. Over many years as a food writer and even more years as a reporter I’ve learned to keep my opinions on the shelf when I get out my reporter’s notebook. Even when I have to express an ass-kicking opinion, I try to keep it fair and balanced, because that’s what reporters do.

So I put on my big-critic’s pants, and off we went to Guy’s with open mind, heart and tummy. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5721

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly’s Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/2016/09/guy-fi ... -worst-us/

Guy Fieri’s Smokehouse
Fourth Street Live
434 S. 4th Street
919-7299
http://guyfierismokehouse.com
https://facebook.com/GuySmokeHouseKY
Robin Garr’s rating: 80 points
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: We try not to go all snob on Guy Fieri’s Smokehouse

by Richard S. » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Either Guy's net worth is woefully underestimated or he needs a better accountant.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Richard S. wrote:Either Guy's net worth is woefully underestimated or he needs a better accountant.

You can't always trust everything you read on the Internet ...
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm sorry but that "food" looks awful. Maybe its the photo quality. The ribs look like Applebee's riblets with ketchup on top. Bleck.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:29 pm

neal.johnson wrote:I'm sorry but that "food" looks awful. Maybe its the photo quality. The ribs look like Applebee's riblets with ketchup on top. Bleck.

That's a pretty good description. The lighting was shady, so there's been a bit of post-processing, but they looked pretty much like that. Especially the ketchup on top.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Fed the hell up with all the Guy Fieri HATERS. Don't like him, don't watch his shows or eat at his restaurants.

He has done a ton for mom and pop joints and general food appreaction/knowledge across the nation.

The dude is what he is, by his decision. A decision that has made him a multi millionaire.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:09 pm

I will always be grateful to Guy Fieri because without him, we wouldn't have the phenomenon of Guy Fieri imposters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TDxCXAXPDg

Well, I'm also grateful for this gif:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:50 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Fed the hell up with all the Guy Fieri HATERS. Don't like him, don't watch his shows or eat at his restaurants.

He has done a ton for mom and pop joints and general food appreaction/knowledge across the nation.

The dude is what he is, by his decision. A decision that has made him a multi millionaire.

You did notice that I'm not a hater and actually addressed some of those points?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:Fed the hell up with all the Guy Fieri HATERS. Don't like him, don't watch his shows or eat at his restaurants.

You did notice that I'm not a hater and actually addressed some of those points?

I did. This is a culmination of Facebook and forum posts over the last few months. Just sick and tired of people bitching about a person/restaurant that they "don't care" about, that is doing mostly good and positive things.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:24 pm

JustinHammond wrote:This is a culmination of Facebook and forum posts over the last few months. Just sick and tired of people bitching about a person/restaurant that they "don't care" about, that is doing mostly good and positive things.

Fair enough. My feelings are decidedly mixed, but I can't deny that DD&D gives a considerable boost to a lot of mom'n'pop locals.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:07 am

This was an awkward 2-part piece on Fieri's restaurant. Michael Powell's 29 paragraph opus on "much ado about nothing" lost me at about paragraph 5.
Robin's 10-paragraph lead on why this die hard rocker had to go to a disco bar for the evening was not of much value. Robin's leads generally inform the reader about the food, history, chef, etc. In this case the discomfort was evident.

Perhaps we can now move beyond the Guy Fieri Flyer Circus act.
James J. Natsis
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:09 am

Robin Garr wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:This is a culmination of Facebook and forum posts over the last few months. Just sick and tired of people bitching about a person/restaurant that they "don't care" about, that is doing mostly good and positive things.

Fair enough. My feelings are decidedly mixed, but I can't deny that DD&D gives a considerable boost to a lot of mom'n'pop locals.

Speaking of DDD, The Seafood Lady posted that they are going to be featured.

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:47 am

JustinHammond wrote:
Speaking of DDD, The Seafood Lady posted that they are going to be featured.

I also saw where he was doing a piece locally on Mama's Barbecue in St. Matthews.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:54 am

JustinHammond wrote:The dude is what he is, by his decision. A decision that has made him a multi millionaire.

Right, and a part of that formula is soaking up as much publicity as possible. With excess publicity comes backlash. C'est la vie.

And while I have always appreciated (though I do not watch) his show that features local fare, I do wonder how much good it actually does, if there has ever been any attempt to measure it. Best estimate I've seen is that his shows average about 675,000 viewers. Hopefully some of those are trying these places, but who knows for sure.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:09 pm

SilvioM wrote:And while I have always appreciated (though I do not watch) his show that features local fare, I do wonder how much good it actually does, if there has ever been any attempt to measure it. Best estimate I've seen is that his shows average about 675,000 viewers. Hopefully some of those are trying these places, but who knows for sure.

https://www.minnpost.com/twin-cities-bu ... ves-effect

Next