Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Solomon Gayman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 am

highlands

New Indian Restaurant opening next to Sapporo

by Solomon Gayman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:35 am

Anyone know what's behind the new Indian place where bally something went under? I'm excited to see a restaurant less expensive than Kashmir coming to the highlands.
no avatar
User

R. N. Dominick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 am

Louisville, KY

by R. N. Dominick » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 am

Kashmir is expensive?
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:12 pm

The name is Sitar, not sure when it is opening
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I drove by this site today and peeked. I would say from the small footprint and other signs, it's going to be a cheap, mostly carry-out 'hurry-curry' kind of place - a good addition to the mix of things in the Bonnycastle area (gotta say, though, the chunna - or maybe they call it chhole [Punjabi chickpeas] - just up the street at 360 is the best we have had since we left India years ago).

Best case scenario: it's a start-up, first-time business for a really good Indian chef with a handful of great items.

Worst case scenario: a cheap place with cheap, tired versions of the usual... like the thousands of bad little Chinese places in the country.
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Hurry curry? I LOVE IT! :lol:
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Amy A wrote:Hurry curry? I LOVE IT! :lol:

There's an indian gentleman in my carpool who often brings curry to office functions, or just when he's feeling like it - often refers to it as "Curry in a Hurry." We've told him for years he needs to open a small place called Curry in a Hurry, I think it'd do great.
no avatar
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I wish I had invented the term, but there's actually a "Hurry Curry of Tokyo" (about the 'Tokyo'... dunno) in California, and the Brits have used the phrase for years. There have been tea-stalls in India for, I guess, centuries - the precursor to our fast food, but a helluva lot better. If Sitar is 'hurry curry' it should be just what our OP is looking for, right?
no avatar
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:19 pm

i actually liked Ballyhoo's, which was there, briefly. i'm beginning to fear that spot is one of those jinxed spaces where a new restaurant tries and fails every few months. i hope not, b/c it's right by my house, and we could use more carryout food so close to home.
no avatar
User

johnlannon

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:02 am

by johnlannon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:03 am

Decided to try Sitar tonight as, when we walked by, it was open. This seemed like reason enough. Apparently, today was their first day. However, the staff did not seem at all unprepared.

The Place:

The dining room is bright, clean and fairly minimal. Nice, muted orange/yellow paint on the walls. Very open and airy. Ugly carpet, but that's probably cheaper than hardwood or finished concrete (do restaurants get some sort of insurance break for installing ugly carpet? There must be some reason for the prevalence of the stuff).

The Service:

Service was great. Especially considering this was opening day. Staff was friendly, efficient, mildly chatty, but not annoying. They seemed genuinely concerned that we were enjoying our meal. Quick water refills were provided. Desired spice levels were respected.

The Food:

The meal started with Maysoor Marsala Dosa, a crepe-pancake made from lentil and rice flour batter and flash-grilled on a super-hot griddle. Stuffed with a spice and potato mixture and served with what could be described as an Indian-spiced hummus (not sure what it's called) and Sambar, a lentil-based soup with chile, carrots and potatoes. The Dosa is huge. We managed to finish it, mainly because it contained so much crunchy, potatoey, spicy goodness that there was no other option. Belts were loosened a notch at this point.

Next were pretty standard dishes: Aloo Gobi and Lamb Karahai Palak (or something resembling that string of letters), which seemed to be the same thing as Lamb Saagwala.

The Aloo Gobi was well prepared. Delicious. Steaming hot. Adequately spiced. Probably a bit more tomato than the other Indian restaurants in the area use. It was well-cooked, so the potatoes were quite soft, while the cauliflower was just right (not too soft), which would seem to indicate that this was assembled to order. While the Aloo Gobi was not markedly better than Kashmir's or Shalimar's, it was every bit as good.

The Lamb dish was well above average. Creamy spinach, with visibly discrete slice onions and green bell peppers. The green peppers were still crunchy. The lamb was lean and fall-apart soft. The lamb was mildly lamby, but far less mutton-y than what I've had elsewhere. Absolutely delicious.

All in all, the entrees stood above those equivalent dishes at other area Indian restaurants. Discrete textures and flavors seemed to suggest a made-to-order kitchen.

This is an excellent addition to The Bardstown Road dining corridor. Prices are competitive with Shalimar, Kashmir and Royal India. The ambiance has them all beat (although the nice, new Royal India is a close second). And the food, based on this one visit is excellent. Everyone there seemed to know what they were doing.

I think these guys have their act together. Hopefully they'll stick around. They don't seem to have blown their wad on the build out, so there's a good chance they'll make it to that coveted one year milestone. I know it's a tough location, but I'll be back (maybe tomorrow for the $6.99 lunch buffet). And I encourage everybody here to go out and try it as soon as possible. Park a few blocks away and walk; you'll have some calories to burn off.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:35 pm

The missus and I hit the lunch buffet yesterday. We both thought it was quite good. The food is considerably better than Kashmir, and on par with the quality you get at India Palace and Shalimar without having to drive to the east end. The service, as noted earlier, was outstanding: prompt and friendly without being overbearing. The chili chicken was great-nice intense heat level for a buffet item-and the naan was the best I've had in town. Very impressive for opening day. You can't beat this place for a 7 buck lunch.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:06 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:The missus and I hit the lunch buffet yesterday. We both thought it was quite good. The food is considerably better than Kashmir, and on par with the quality you get at India Palace and Shalimar without having to drive to the east end. The service, as noted earlier, was outstanding: prompt and friendly without being overbearing. The chili chicken was great-nice intense heat level for a buffet item-and the naan was the best I've had in town. Very impressive for opening day. You can't beat this place for a 7 buck lunch.

We went over today, and I agree. Following on the heels of Royal India, it's <i>great</i> to have two more quality Indian options in town. And as noted, they have South Indian vegetarian items, too (on a separate Dosa Hut menu). I have <i>never</i> seen a masala dosa that big!
no avatar
User

Ralph M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:17 pm

Louisville

Location Please?

by Ralph M » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:07 pm

I don't remember where Sapporo is...
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Location Please?

by Steve Shade » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Ralph M wrote:I don't remember where Sapporo is...

Bardstown RD close to Bonnycastle. Next to a Chase bank.
no avatar
User

Solomon Gayman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 am

highlands

by Solomon Gayman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:38 pm

sitar was awesome. Cheap and clean... Its worth checking out
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:09 am

Just bumping this thread ahead of the very questionable one.
Next