Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Ooh! Oooh! Guy is in town!

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:24 am

I'm actually finding the breathless PR kind of amusing. I'm curious to see which local media and bloggers actually take this bait and cover it seriously.

RunSwitch Public Relations wrote:Good Morning,

As discussed, Guy Fieri will be in attendance this evening at the new Guy Fieri's Smokehouse at Fourth Street Live! He will address the press and crowd at 5:45 pm.

His Camaro will be parked outside the restaurant and there will be a chainsaw artist outside carving a sculpture out of wood.

If you require truck access, please call Les Fugate at 502.432.2050 and he can coordinate the logistics of that request.

Please feel free to direct any additional questions to me, at the contact information below:

Rachel (PR contact redacted)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Ooh! Oooh! Guy is in town!

by RonnieD » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:20 am

Robin Garr wrote:
His Camaro will be parked outside the restaurant and there will be a chainsaw artist outside carving a sculpture out of wood.

Well of course there will be. :roll:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:37 am

Robin Garr wrote:cover it seriously.

Well, these are promo pieces -- nothing "serious" about them. I catch some of the morning news before work and these kind of things are slipped in once or twice every half hour, promoting a business or event, often local. He's a celeb, so he'll get his 30 seconds. Not a problem to me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:41 am

SilvioM wrote:Not a problem to me.

I guess "problem" doesn't fit where I am, Silvio, but it might be. :mrgreen: Mainly, I'm just interested in how it gets covered. Will the bloggers (and for that matter, the TV stations and the CJ) do it tongue-in-cheek? Or will they be blinded by Guy's glory and present it as straight news?
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:51 pm

They will most likely be blinded by Guy's frosted-tipped hair.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:23 pm

I thought about it and I think I'd trade places with him. I wouldn't care what people thought about me :lol:

Guy Fieri net worth and salary: Guy Fieri is an American restaurateur, author, television personality, and game show host who has a net worth of $8.5 million.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Oh, and I didn't have to think about it very long
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Robin Garr wrote: Or will they be blinded by Guy's glory and present it as straight news?

The implication here, it seems, is that if they present it as straight news, they are "blinded by his glory". Hence, the only responsible thing is to be snarky about him. I think it'll be a regular puff/promotional piece, as is done with many local establishments. No need to blow it out of proportion.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:36 pm

SilvioM wrote:The implication here, it seems, is that if they present it as straight news, they are "blinded by his glory". Hence, the only responsible thing is to be snarky about him. I think it'll be a regular puff/promotional piece, as is done with many local establishments. No need to blow it out of proportion.

You are harshing my mellow, Silvio! :lol:

Seriously, though, I take your point, although if I were Editor In Chief, I would probably ignore a media event like that unless it contained real news that had not yet been reported. A picture of Guy with the Camaro and the chainsaw sculpture, maybe. But if I reported it at all, it would be as a light-hearted feature. Let's restate this: Let's see who presents it as straight news without acknowledging that it was a publicity event without any actual news.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:21 am

Here is the menu of the place. I can't wait to try the "donkey sauce". :shock:

http://guyfierismokehouse.com/guys-smokehouse-menu-v2.pdf
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:08 am

I must confess that I want to try 'em out as many of those preparations sound interesting. Charred pablanos on a turkey (or any burger)....bring it on! Now if I can just hold my nose for the whole 4SL thing.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:23 am

Pimento cheeseburgers, grilled okra, roasted brussel sprouts, a focus on smoked meats -- douchey names and Sammy Hagar/Motley Crue references aside, the menu doesn't feel out of step with the local scene. Although it isn't offering anything new either. And I assume it will be substantially marked up. Misspelling "julep" did make me laugh, though.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:43 am

We are the home state of a guy who dressed up in a white suit and called himself a "Colonel" in order to sell fast food chicken.

Guy should feel right at home here!
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Highlands

by Eve Lee » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:52 am

Congratulations, Fourth Street Live. You just got the restaurant you deserve.

To be fair: I've never sat through more than a commercial's worth of Mr. Fieri's TV show, but I do trust the opinion of The New York Times' Pete Wells. This never grows old:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dinin ... quare.html
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm willing to give the place a try, even if Guy Fieri is a walking cartoon.
Next