Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Restaurant Reviews and Liability

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 am

Tony P is saying that Marcus Weston is a fake person on his personal Facebook page
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 am

JustinHammond wrote:Tony P is saying that Marcus Weston is a fake person on his personal Facebook page

I'm sorry, I think he's wrong. Griffin has addressed that fully, and I accept his statement.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:53 am

Jason G wrote:I am shocked that everyone on here thinks Joellas is so bad.

I agree with this and pretty much everything that your wrote. It is good (not great), been several times, one so-so experience, the others all good. I agree that the spice level is not consistent, but I'm okay eating it on different levels. Overall, I can feed three for under $30 for a good meal, which works for me. (Note: The prices and portions are the similar as Royals, so some places are able to make it work.)

On the other issue, I cannot imagine a respected chef like, say, Edward Lee starting a blog used, in part, as a forum to criticize local chefs and restaurants. It's a low-class move that, at the very least, raises conflict of interest questions and competitiveness questions. While Griffin is creating different food, he is opening a similarly-priced place on the same street as Joella's. It would be like Seviche starting a blog that dissed Jack Fry's and Lilly's. Free to do it? Sure. Dumb? Undoubtedly.

On top of that, I didn't know that he was a part of America The Diner, home to my worst local restaurant experience in the last several years. Yow.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Gotta make a few points here-

- to my knowledge, Griffin was not at all involved in America...the Diner

-
who gives a crap about the decor?

Um, me, and a LOT of other people. I don't care if you're at Sepia, Avec, or the Weiners Circle, ambience matters and it is completely reasonable to take that into account when positively or negatively reviewing a spot no matter how casual.

- The assertion that somehow this is Griffin writing under a pseudonym trying to snipe other restaurants is absolutely preposterous. The guy is up front about his personal opinions to a fault. I cannot imagine him going out of the way to post something under a fake name. Frankly he doesn't waste a lot of energy on others opinions of him and I think if he felt as offended by a place as the reviewer did, he would just say so or not at all.

- If the guy writing is trying to take this seriously, isn't there some precedent in reviewers using pseudonyms to attempt to retain anonymity? I think the willingness to be frankly turned off by a place is refreshing, and no offense to Robin, but I really wish there was a bit more frank honesty in the Louisville restaurant review scene. In my reading Coomes is really the only writer before now I've seen be brutally honest about Louisville restaurant bull, whether its being frank about a manager or chef's tendency to bounce from place to place, or a restauranteurs attempt to serve a certain kind of food with a clear lack of understanding of what it is they are even trying to serve. I don't think Louisville foodies are craving restaurant take down's, but when a place truly blows it, we are craving honesty. I know I am.

- Griffin should not have called him a motherfucker. And I think the idea of the fry off is misguided if not well intentioned. It cuts against the assertion that this is not personal and made it seem that way. I don't believe Griffin intended that.

- Finally, as a business owner myself, I think Tony made a real mistake here in his response and handling of this. People are going to say overwhelmingly positive and negative views of your place regardless, he has only succeed in making sure more people have read this review. I don't even look at my Yelp reviews. We have a personal philosophy of what we do, and I value criticism whether positive or negative much more from people who say it to me personally, and we certainly get both. I've gotten freaking death threats for things we've done, (see if you can guess what) and pissed off other restauranteurs who were offended by our use of a certain allocation, but ultimately we ignored that and came out way better off for being ourselves. In the end, who gives a damn what some blog site or yahoo may review on the series of tubes that is the internet? His thin skinned response makes zero sense to me and essentially legitimized the entire blog/review/criticism in my opinion.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:23 pm

User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Steve H wrote:Image

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :D
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Adios, Juan.

Does this mean that Juan is no longer able to post on here?
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:13 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Adios, Juan.

Does this mean that Juan is no longer able to post on here?

"Adios" to the Mexican guy. WTF?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:30 am

Yes, some restaurant owners are thin-skinned and petty. I never told Robin this, but when I was doing the occasional guest review for LEO, I got some negative feedback from both owners and their surrogates. On-line and a couple of phone calls (that's what I get for having a listed landline!). I actually only had one place that was totally negative, but a remark regarding a small part of an otherwise positive visit set one owner off. I can understand why a person would want to use a pseudonym to review, especially if they have a job in food service, even in another city.

I had 2 negative experiences at Joella's with food and service on Frankfort and I will not be back. I voted with my $$, I spend it elsewhere.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Marybeth B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 pm

East End

by Marybeth B » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:48 pm

I skimmed the review but I don't really care what the author's opinion about Joella's is. I like the chicken, my family likes the chicken, and the opinion of someone I don't know doesn't matter. Maybe if he writes a lot of reviews and I agree with more than I disagree, I'll start trusting his opinion on places that are new to me but we're a long way from that point.

It won't stop me from trying Mirin when it opens. I don't care that Griffin Paulin published a negative review of another restaurant. I won't be going there for his literary skills, just his cooking. (Side note: He did a fantastic job last night at the Crane House Young Professionals' Ramen Night.)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Dang, Marybeth, I'm looking around for the "Like" button! :lol:
Previous